Torque Spec needed

bbqen2

Guest Anonymous
I'd like to add that Ive never gotten the T60 that tight before, just so the next time I do the brakes, I can get that bolt off easily

I agree. I always tighten it as much as I can with a 3/8" breaker bar. Then next time I use the 1/2" bar to get it loose again.

Well I torqued them to 148 ft lbs.and then came back in the house and saw the other posts. I had to use a propane torch to heat them up in order to break them loose to begin with. That wasn't to bad so it looks/sounds like I may have to do it again next time I need to replace the rotors.

thanks for your replys

Dan

Put a little anti-sieze on the threads and it won't be so difficult to remove them next time :D ...

I don't think that's the best idea. The service manual even says to do the complete opposite and use loctite on them!

I always torque to 148ft-lbs, but I omit the loctite. I have a huge torque wrench so the only problem I've had getting them on and off, is the T60 tends to start to twist and eventually breaks. I'm about due for my 3rd T60.

I've had bad experiences with those damn T60 bolts.....I replaced my front pads and rotors before going to Colorado, and the damn things fell out after 40 miles! So basically, I drove to colorado with only 1 caliper mounting bracket bolt.

Moral of the Story: Make sure you tighten them enough. Better to have to work to get them off again, instead of something worse happening while your driving.....

The service manual even says to do the complete opposite and use loctite on them!

When I got mine out I noticed they had some orange/red stuff around the top 2 or 3 threads. When I put them back in I put some Blue loctite on them and torqued to 148 lbs.

screw the manual. I torqued to 150 and put a little anti sieze on the threads. I always retorque after 1000 miles or so. Never got loose. There's no reason to have to use a torch the bracket every time you want to change the rotors.

I had to use a propane torch to heat them up in order to break them loose to begin with.

I did too.. then proceeded to absentmindedly lightly scrape one side of my finger on the caliper bracket..

YEOW!

couldn't believe how hard they were to get off though. granted, we didn't have a breaker bar either.