oil additives (any that actully work)

MoTox8410

what do guys think about this http://www.restoreusa.com/restorer.html

i had used it in my 73 vette and it did actully seem to help

i lately put vortech heads and intake on it and when i tore it down there were deposits in the valley and on the intake that looked like i had ran that stuff that seals that radiator

it was no big deal but though it might be from the stuff

I made a post about something along these lines a few days ago. I was looking for an additive that would help reseal gaskets and rings. Someone posted a link for this stuff:

http://www.auto-rx.com/index.html

It seems to work really well reading their testimonies and forums. I'm going to try it in the near future. It's expensive but could be worth it.

yep ive seen that stuff before and used

it works great for cleaning it but as far as sealing anything i dont know

when we pulled the heads on the vette and put new ones on it didnt burn a drop of oil i was impressed it was only the valves that were leaking (GM infamous small block) i think that restore might of actully sealed or helped the walls but im not sure

I've been using Engine Restorer in my cars for years and have never had any problems. I wouldn't expect the stuff to stop an engine from burning oil at an increased rate, but it doesn't hurt to dump a can in at every oil change.

FWIW, I had a 93 Cavalier that I ran up to 220k (bought it with 59k) and I put in a can of Restorer at every oil change. Whether or not that made a difference I'll never really know but it's definitely worth noting. I never noticed any excessive oil consumption as the motor got older, and it seemed as tight as the day I bought it when I sold it, so take that for what it's worth.

Like I said, it's not a miracle cure-all but I can testify that it won't destroy your motor like all that other crap like Slick 50 and Dura-Lube does...

I used the Engine Restore in my Z34, and it did seem to make it run a little bit more smoothly. I didn't notice an increase in fuel mileage, but the car just seemed to run a little better.

Oil additives are useless in a healthy engine.

They are only good for quieting a bad engine on its last legs so you can unscrupulously sell it to some poor unsuspecting schmuck.

Not really a additive but using Amsoil oil is a good thing. Oil temps are 50° cooler and it makes HP. They make oils for everything. Motor,gears,tranny We just had a guy come in our shop tryin gto sell some. Had some real good numbers. Blows away all the synthetic lubes out there by alol. Personally i have never used it but the guy i work with has it in his tranny and engine on his 66' Chevelle drag car. That thing is pushin 1000HP and it seems to be ok.

I didn't have problems with my other car until I used an additive. The motor oil looked like chocolate sauce halfway through the change cycle.

It was the additive in the little yellow bottle.

My advice: stay away and just change your oil!

I didn't have problems with my other car until I used an additive. The motor oil looked like chocolate sauce halfway through the change cycle.

It was the additive in the little yellow bottle.

My advice: stay away and just change your oil!

thats the way I feel...I dont think its worth the $ to invest in something that you have to clue if it works.

Oil additives are useless in a healthy engine.

They are only good for quieting a bad engine on its last legs so you can unscrupulously sell it to some poor unsuspecting schmuck.

I disagree....

The right oil can up your engine performance and elongate the life of even a healthy motor.

$$Royal Purple$$

The right oil can up your engine performance and elongate the life of even a healthy motor.

I've never heard of an engine gaining HP from oil. I also believe an engine can last so long on regular oil that the body or something else will crap out long before the engine ever does.

Other stuff breaks all the time... Thats just cars in general...

Do you believe there is a difference between regular oil , and synthetic?

I do. So just go one step further.

Are some synthetics are better than others?...sure

Does better oil mean better performance?.... it better.

Now granted... it isn't always cheap... it's the difference between a regular air filter, and a K&N. You get what you pay for (in general).

Edit for spelling..

I do believe synthetic is better. I run it in my TGP because the turbo gets so hot and spins so fast that I believe there is a benefit.

I don't bother with synth in my 130HP 2.8L. Not worth the extra expense, IMO.

I doubt there's any benefit in performance, but if someone has dyno sheets that prove otherwise, I'll gladly admit I'm wrong.

For a 130 hp 2.8 I agree with you. Not worth the $$... But, I didn't know we were talking about a specific engine....

You believe there is a benifit in your TGP to run synthetic. Just start off with my second question....."some synthetics better than others?"

AAaaa... F - it. I didn't come here to argue... just drool over how nice your car looks compared to mine.... :drool:

I look at yours as the car I try to imitate....Except for the wheels... I am stickin with the Intl wheels...

I look at yours as the car I try to imitate....Except for the wheels... I am stickin with the Intl wheels...

The wheels is what makes it look good. :wink:

Otherwise, my car is 99.999% stock!

No doubt your wheels are cool look'n, But I just love the Intl wheels...

Whel , I am home from work now, so I am gunna go out to the garage and keep workn on the Cutty...

Later man.....

The wheels is what makes it look good. :wink:

Otherwise, my car is 99.999% stock!

the wheels make it look good with the addition of it being soooo clean.