Did my car get a bastardized Keyless Entry System??

jeremy

I am looking for a couple more fobs on eBay and I can't find any oldsmobile ones that match my part/FCC numbers. Even the ones listed for Cutlass Supremes don't match. Are any of these interchangeable?

My info is:

DOC:218 K680

Model/FCC ID: AB00103T

I really want to know if anyone knows for certain if the AB00103T and the AB00104T remotes are interchangeable....every cutlass one I find is the 4T

thanks.

I think ANY GM keyfob with the same button layout will work.

lock unlock

....trunk

or however it goes.

I guess I dunno if they used the same system all the way up to '97 though..

I think ANY GM keyfob with the same button layout will work.

lock unlock

....trunk

:withstupid:

All rectangular FOBs with this layout will work. FCC ID doesn't matter.

FCC ID does matter!!! It controls what frequency the remote transmits on, an incorrect ID won't let the entry system and FOB communicate. The 3T remotes are out there, just keep looking. I've got 2 of them for my car.

FCC ID does matter!!! It controls what frequency the remote transmits on, an incorrect ID won't let the entry system and FOB communicate. The 3T remotes are out there, just keep looking. I've got 2 of them for my car.

:bs:

All rectangular TRW remotes with that button layout will work. Even Ford/Lincoln/Mercury branded ones with 4-buttons will work. Even the SUV buttons that say "PRESS TWICE" or "REAR" in place of the trunk icon will work.

I've bought practically one of every kind of GM key FOB to play with and many of them had different FCC ID's. If you run them in the FCC ID search, you'll see they're all the same frequency despite the different ID.

Son of a...when I went through and did research a couple years back everything I read said you had to have a matching FCC ID# for the transmitter to work. Even sites that sell FOB's as NOS have you put in the FCC ID# that you need before yielding matching results. I thought the whole idea of having an FCC number was that it identified a particular frequecy that the device uses. I realize they all broadcast in the same part of the spectrum, but I still would think each company has a set of unique frequencies specific to its vehicles.

If I'm BS'ing here its totally unintentional, I'm just basing it off of what I read when I did research into buying a couple new remotes for my Trofeo (I ended up getting a set from a Cadillac Seville off ebay for like $30, but that car had the four button FOB).

Yeah Shawn is right on the money.. when I bought my 90 STE I didn't even know it -had- keyless entry. I didn't get any fobs with it. Once I found out that it did, I borrowed my girlfriends remote for her 2000 Ford ZX2 and I programmed it to my STE. It was cool, you'd hit the unlock or trunk release button and both her car and my car in the driveway would open up.

The old squares are TRW and the new ones are Lear. Although I found an old square in the junkyard once that said "united" on it, I believe.

The United ones are UTA - United Technologies Automotive. They come in both square and round. They resemble the rectangular TRW ones, but the button layout is different (trunk is on the top row). They won't work. I think they were used on the H and FWD G-bodies.

Round ones come in LEAR, UTA, and from 03 on, many are Motorola. None of the round ones will work, they all use rolling codes.

What are the odds of two cars having the same signal? Becuase the unlock button on the remote for my Cutlass also opens the trunk on my neighbors Olds 98 (about an 89' or 90'). Its kinda funny becuase if I'm too close to his driveway when I press the unlock button you can always hear his trunk pop. I'm sure he thinks his car is on crack.