Hypatheitcal Question..??..??

perfecseal

I had I guy I work with come over last night and help me with some stuff and I showed him all my cars while he was here.. After seeing my tpg all he could talk about today at work was how cool it would be to make it a twin turbo.... Now Yess that would Kick A$$ but Is it posible..Yess everything is possible But I want to eaither make a twin turbo out my tpg or shut him up .. So what are the pros and cons... Room Cost costome fab...

Guest TurboSedan

IMO the only pro to twin turbo is the coolness factor. not worth the effort but then again what do i know.

i'd go with a big single turbo like a .63 A/R hot side T3/T4 60 trim :) and 8.2:1 forged pistons with a 3100 top end swap and a little shot of nitrous with a bigass FMIC :)

I agree I Have been looking for a bigger turbo and plan on stayin with a single .. Just wondering On the gains if any .... Just want tooo put him in his place with some cold facts...

Guest TurboSedan
big single turbo like a .63 A/R hot side T3/T4 60 trim

:lol:

Thats still small...think BIGGER. This is no 4 poper. :wink:

well turbo lag is a factor :wink: what would you go with? that turbo is huge compared to the T25!

I could deal with turbo lag if I could get a T3. The only problem with a twin turbo set-up, I highly doubt there is sufficient room in the engine bay to use twin turbos. Unless you place the 2nd turbo under the engine bay out of sight.

Then again, GM did make a twin turbo V6 Beretta back in the day.

It's totally pointless to go with a twin turbo setup. There's nothing to gain from having two turbos instead of one(except in a true sequential setup). I don't know if you think that twin turbo setups spool faster, but that's a myth. Beside the fact that I've never seen another turbo car that spooled faster than a TGP.

Ok so I looked on ebay last night and found a t3/t4 hybrid real cheep.. witch I know prolly means that its going to have to be rebuilt but owell still be cheeper then new......Any thoughts on what will have to be changed other then the tube size.... I need a new crossover enyway so I gona talk to jeff and see if I can have one made for it... what about the computer will it work or will that have to be reprogramed as well... Ohh and I have a buddy that works at a muffler shop that wants to put on a full 3 inche exhaust so it will breath better...

It's totally pointless to go with a twin turbo setup. There's nothing to gain from having two turbos instead of one(except in a true sequential setup). I don't know if you think that twin turbo setups spool faster, but that's a myth. Beside the fact that I've never seen another turbo car that spooled faster than a TGP.

Exactly. Full boost at 1800rpms is crazy for a turbo car. Even going with a bigger turbo on a TGP is not gonna hurt lag that much (unless you go A LOT bigger), especially if its like a Disco Potato or GT2871R or something like that. And those would give you plenty of airflow for 12 second passes. A twin turbo setup would be cool and all, and could present a slightly larger gain then a single turbo, but I don't think its worth all the money and fabrication it would take to make it work.

Shawn

Guest TurboSedan

i don't think the ECM will care what kind of turbo you have feeding the engine, it's the boost level that matters. check compressor maps before you decide which turbo to go with. you don't want a turbo that spools at 4000 RPM.

there are alot of things to consider when swapping to a turbo like that. to name a few:

- custom crossover pipe with T3 flange

- turbo support bracket

- custom oil and coolant supply & return lines

- custom downpipe

- wastegate....internal? external?

- custom intercooler plumbing

atpturbo.com has V-band adapters that would take care of the downpipe issue, as well as piping and alot of other things....check 'em out.

you can be sure there is alot of custom work involved.

How do you figure twin turbos are pointless? A true twin turbo setup would allow the 3.1 to truly breath from the bottom to the top of the RPM scale. The problem with the "quick" spooling TGP is it runs out of breath in the upper RPMs because the turbo is so small for this application. For those who have a 5-speed in their TGP you know as well as I that there is a ton of room behind the engine to have a second turbo off the rear exhaust manifold. The problem with properly tuned twin turbos is they have to feed off of the same total dynamic exhaust flow to be sequential so piping everything would be the real chore. You can not have a properly tuned twin turbo set-up by just having one turbo running from the rear bank and the other turbo running from the front bank. Have you ever seen a twin turbo from a Turbo II RX7? Those things are mammoth in size as a single mounted unit. It is possible...but like others have said...space is limited under the TGP hood for all of the mounting points and the mass of piping that would be required to properly tune the turbo's... 8)

You can not have a properly tuned twin turbo set-up by just having one turbo running from the rear bank and the other turbo running from the front bank. Have you ever seen a twin turbo from a Turbo II RX7? Those things are mammoth in size as a single mounted unit. It is possible...but like others have said...space is limited under the TGP hood for all of the mounting points and the mass of piping that would be required to properly tune the turbo's... 8)

We're thinking on the same level, but we're thinking about opposite setups. You're thinking of a sequential twin turbo system where you have both a small and large turbo that is feed by the same exhaust. If you take notice I said 'except in a true sequential setup' in my post. I'm thinking of a parellel twin turbo system where you have a turbo on each bank. When using a parallel twin turbo setup there is no advantage, and that's why I wrote what I did. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough :oops: :P