Stop Burn

Kalgorn

My Z seems to be losing oil very slowly but it's enough to notice it. I don't think it's leaking because I can't find any sort of puddles under my car. I think it might be burning it. No signs of smoke but you can sometimes smell a scent similar to burning oil when exiting my car. I want to try some sort of product to stop oil burn before I need to delve into the engine to fix it. What product do you recommend and when should I use it? I'm going to do an oil change soon so maybe that is a good time.

You could try some of the "motor honey" type stuff they sell at Wally World (I think it's called "NO SMOKE") but all that really does is raise the viscosity of the oil so it doesn't flow as easily (therefore it won't burn off as quickly.) You could just as easily put 20W50 oil in at the next oil change to achieve the same results. Seeing as it's almost winter time, that might not be a very good idea, though.

Before you go and point to the cylinder walls as being worn, you might want to have a compression test done to rule it out. I've read a TSB regarding the intake gaskets wearing away and causing oil to be drawn into the intake (actually it was for a 94-95 3100, but the symptoms were the same as you describe...)

There may be a chance you have an extremely small oil leak that happens when you drive, or it is so small it doesn't leak while sitting, but while driving sprays oil onto the under side of the car (exhaust, etc) that could be causing the oil smell.

I've heard that may oil addictives are bad for the motor and gum up valves and such, but just rumors. I'd say go with something from a well known name brand just to be on the safe side..

just my 2 cents

- Jeff L.

There may be a chance you have an extremely small oil leak that happens when you drive, or it is so small it doesn't leak while sitting, but while driving sprays oil onto the under side of the car (exhaust, etc) that could be causing the oil smell.

- Jeff L.

my Thunderbird has a leaking rear main seal, which drips on to the exhaust pipes. the car smells like buring oil, but it doesn't drip very much on the ground, and i've never seen so much as a puff of blue smoke out the exhaust.

Look around on eBay Motors for a while until you see one of those Valvoline Maxlife advertisements and rebate offers. The stuff is supposed to contain seal conditioning agents and be slightly 'thicker'.

Might help your situation with respect to the leaking, and its pretty hard to argue with free oil (after mail-in-rebate).

Good luck! Generally those 'stop-leak' that work on the basis of viscosity thickening or parts coating aren't the greatest ideas. Another product that is purported to help is Auto-RX -- http://www.auto-rx.com , which accomplishes this through ester-based seal cleaning and conditioning.

Look around on eBay Motors for a while until you see one of those Valvoline Maxlife advertisements and rebate offers. The stuff is supposed to contain seal conditioning agents and be slightly 'thicker'.

Might help your situation with respect to the leaking, and its pretty hard to argue with free oil (after mail-in-rebate).

Good luck! Generally those 'stop-leak' that work on the basis of viscosity thickening or parts coating aren't the greatest ideas. Another product that is purported to help is Auto-RX -- http://www.auto-rx.com , which accomplishes this through ester-based seal cleaning and conditioning.

i've used Max Life for a year on my CS in an attempt to stop a small oil leak around my oil pan. didn't do shit. :thumbsdown:

If that Auto-Rx stuff works as well as it says, that may be the way to go. It's expensive but if it works I have no problem with that. I need something that's going to recondition seals and gaskets.

Does it seem right for me to suspect that some sort of sealer/reconditioner should fix this problem? To me it does because it's not losing oil very quickly.