Question about 2.8/3.1/3.4 computer....

Tru2Chevy

This question doesn't directly relate to w-bodies, but I was hoping someone could help me anyway.

Does anyone know if the 3.4L 60 degree v6 (mostly found in 93-95 base model camaros and firebirds) uses the same basic prom based computer and tuning files as the 2.8/3.1 cars?

I'm pretty sure that they are prom based, but I really need to know if the file will be the same/similar. There is a big debate about 3.4L performace on FirebirdV6.com

I should have probably posted this on 60degreev6.com first, but I will post the here anyway. Any help you guys can give will be appreciated!

- Justin

Seeing as GM cars share so many parts or part designs, I'm inclined to say yes, the computers use the same thing. The best thing I could think to do would be to get a diagnostic reader from any autoparts store and hook it up to the computer plug in your camaro. It should identify itself for you. Then, do the same to any 3.4L W body, and see what happens...

/All I got, hope it helps. :)

same basic system, yes.

same exact chip, don't think so. chip would be different but I think the computers themselves are all the same, at least within the same carline.

same tuning files, almost definetly not.