Tires, tires... and more tires!

scorpion_x9

Ok, I plan on getting tires when I get taxes back. But I don't really know what to get. I was looking at getting the 225/60R16 upgrades from my original 215 width tires. It there any real disadvantage going with a wider tire? It would appear that it increases the risk of hydro-planing and possibly crappy snow traction. I would really like to get an extra set of cheap black rims with snow tires on them for the winter. :D (Maybe next tax return :P ) I'm looking at getting All-Season Tires right now. I would like the 225 tires for the added dry pavement traction. I like the look of wider tires too.

Brand is and issue too. I work right next to a tire shop (discounts! :D ) and they push Cooper tires. I was thinking about getting a set of Lifeliners to replace my worn Trendsetters. I've been looking into other brands but I don't know that much about tires to know what to get. I see rating on Tirerack.com but they could rating tires of different sizes and on different cars so I don't completely trust the ratings on there.

I just purchased a set of 225/60R16 BFGoodrich Traction T/As. Reports on the web are positive about them and so far they ride really nice. They are unidirectional, M&S, 60,000 mile rated, and very QUIET. I replaced my Goodyear Eagle GA's, which I'll never own again. They were hard riding and I lost a belt in one of them. The T/A's were $85 a piece.

How wide are your rims? 225/60R16's are stock for my GP which has a 16x8.0" rim.

That's my .02.

i have YOKOHAMA AVID H4s on my cutlass...i got 215/60/16's cause thats what i was stock...i now WISH i woulda went with 225's...but, the tires are VERY GOOD...the car handles great, especially in rain...they are directionals...i got mine from TIRE RACK and they werent very expensive @ all...you might wanna check em out!...

FWIW: this prolly shoulda been in the GENERAL section... :roll:

How wide are your rims? 225/60R16's are stock for my GP which has a 16x8.0" rim.

Hmmm. That's a good question. How would I find that out?

FWIW: this prolly shoulda been in the GENERAL section... :roll:

Eh, it'll probably get moved anyways. :)

don't buy Cooper's.

i had Cooper Lifeliner II Classic tires on my car. two tires blew out on two seperate occasions on a flat, smooth road without hitting a large pothole or anything like that. i had another tire develop a huge sidewall buldge, and the tire was never rubbed against a curb or anything. they wouldn't hold air worth a damn either.

My current cheapass Mastercraft tires are much better that the Coopers i had from a durability and lasting standpoint. no blowouts, sidewall buldges, and they hold air. that should tell you something.

i don't recommend Cooper tires. i'll never buy Cooper tires as long as i drive the rest of my life. they're not a bargin over other brand tires anyway, so why pay for crap?

I don't care for Michelin tires either. i haven't had any experience with Michelin car tires, but Michelin truck tires are crap. they provide awful snow traction.

Goodyear and BFG's are good tires. they're the only two brands of tire i'd put on a car that's performance i actually cared about.

don't buy Cooper's.

i had Cooper Lifeliner II Classic tires on my car. two tires blew out on two seperate occasions on a flat, smooth road without hitting a large pothole or anything like that. i had another tire develop a huge sidewall buldge, and the tire was never rubbed against a curb or anything. they wouldn't hold air worth a damn either.

I have the exact same tires on my CS and they haven't given me any problems. They've held up to a lot of abuse to (burnouts, many many curbs, etc). I don't know how much mileage is on them but I'd guess absolutely no less than 20k so far.

don't buy Cooper's.

I have the exact same tires on my CS and they haven't given me any problems. They've held up to a lot of abuse to (burnouts, many many curbs, etc)

Cooper tires can part the hair on my ass and give me a rim job.

Check your RPO code in your trunk if your wheels are stock. It'll be N**, then hit the w-body RPO page http://www.w-body.com/rpo.html. With any luck, you'll wheel size will be listed. I think a shorter alternative to the 225/60r16 is a 245/50r16...the 50 may be wrong, but it's stock TGP tire size.

I have the exact same tires on my CS and they haven't given me any problems. They've held up to a lot of abuse to (burnouts, many many curbs, etc). I don't know how much mileage is on them but I'd guess absolutely no less than 20k so far.

My Cooper Trendsetters are abused the same, peeling out(once in a while), hard cornering, hard stopping, wet pavement wheel spin. Except dry pavement burn outs, which i've only attempted twice since I owned the car. :) I could use better tires overall though. I think I might look into getting either BF Goodrich or Goodyear. My current tires are about 2 years and 3 months old anyways. I have to say that those Trendsetters are better than the Kelly tires that came on it when I bought it.

yokahoma and Michelin are great tires(almost all series for 225/60/16 are recommended). BTW you made a great point about the ratings on Tirerack, but at least you'll get a grasp on what to expect. Cooper= :thumbsdown:

It says 16x6.5 for the wheel size. It's probably too small to accomodate a 225 tire, isn't it?

I ran 225's with no problems at all on my '95 Cutlass. My uneven tire wear was due to shitty ball joints

i have no complaints with coopers, good tires for the money, i just now dismounted my one ramaining cooper which was worn almost perfectly smooth.

tonight, i just mounted 2 goodyear eagle RS-As on my front and 2 eagle LSs on my rear they seem to be prety good tires, we'll see how they last

i will never again put futuras on my car, i had 2 up front they wore sooo fast, now i'm glad i got one of them sliced open in my wreck.

i have no complaints with coopers, good tires for the money, i just now dismounted my one ramaining cooper which was worn almost perfectly smooth.

tonight, i just mounted 2 goodyear eagle RS-As on my front and 2 eagle LSs on my rear they seem to be prety good tires, we'll see how they last

i will never again put futuras on my car, i had 2 up front they wore sooo fast, now i'm glad i got one of them sliced open in my wreck.

Futura's and Cooper's are made by the same company, i've been told

I just got Goodyear Eagle GT-HR's 235/55/16, Ive already put about 400 or so miles on them and I like them so far. Ive got 16x6.5 rims and the 235 went on just fine. They are the max width you are supposed to put on a 6.5in wide rim.

is it ok to do this on your car for example have

the front 16 inch tired and the back 17 or 18's

i REALLY wouldn't recommend that...ALTHOUGH, if you get the right sizes, you could actaully make the tire sizes CLOSE to the same... :roll:

is it ok to do this on your car for example have

the front 16 inch tired and the back 17 or 18's

i REALLY wouldn't recommend that...ALTHOUGH, if you get the right sizes, you could actaully make the tire sizes CLOSE to the same... :roll:

i think big wheels and tires look like shit on most cars, but we all know how bigass wheels are the cool thing to do nowadays

haha kevin, you should put some big ass RIMZ on your car and sell it to a brotha for like $5000, because if it has big ass rimz, it must be a good car. :lol:

haha kevin, you should put some big ass RIMZ on your car and sell it to a brotha for like $5000, because if it has big ass rimz, it must be a good car. :lol:

i could sell it too. i'd advertise it around where i work, which is in ghetto part of Detroit. i've seen a couple of Lumina sedans around there with some bigass wheels. looks like shit too.