Depressing rear caliper piston (94-96) gp

quinn

Got all the parts on for my swap from 92 to 94-96 rear calipers on my gp.

The pads don't fit over the rotors because of the "piston" if you will. It looks like you screw it down, but it didn't hardly go anywhere when I screwed it. How do I get it all the way down to fit the pads in?

Thanks,

Lee

Guest TurboSedan

yeah it screws in. it was pretty hard to turn that thing in. IIRC it slowly got easier the further it went down. i used a long nose pliers as a spanner wrench. just be careful and don't slip the pliers...you don't want to scratch the piston face up.

Get the little spanner attachment for a 3/8 ratchet. Use it with an extension. Theyre only a few dollars, nuch less trouble than trying to use nose pliers.

These pistons also DO retract nicely when you turn them. You don't even need to push them really.

No, don't use a C-clamp unless you want to damage the park brake.

You need to twist it in WHILE pushing at the same time.

A caliper tool is handy for that if you have one, but you can also use a brake caliper block (that square thing that goes on your socket wrench and has a bunch of raised bumps on it).

Guest TurboSedan
Get the little spanner attachment for a 3/8 ratchet.

i totally forgot about that little tool. i didn't even know there was such a thing when i did my brakes. my Haynes manual actually shows a pic of someone compressing the piston back in with a needle nose pliers, so that's what i did. i'm sure the tool would make it alot easier.

The little cube tool is a “K-D 3163” and cost about $8. at most parts stores.

The factory manual says: “Use a suitable spanner-type tool in piston slot to turn piston and thread it into the caliper.”

I have not had one of these calipers apart yet so I can not say if a C-clamp will damage them like some older GM rear calipers.

Why not use a C-Clamp, as long as the end that swivels is placed on the piston all your doing is applying downward force in addition to the twisting motion. I've done it on 5-6 cars all of whose brakes work just fine.

DONT use a C-Clamp. I tried on my 94 rear brakes, and you need that cube tool to screw it in, while using force to help it back in. If it doesn't go in after like an hour and a half of trying, the calipers probably shot.

thats what happened to me