Any Differences between 97-02 GTPs?

jjs316

wow...i never knew so much was changed on them before i read that. i thought they were all pretty much the exact same until the 2004 models.

i could have missed this when reading...but what year was it that the front end of the SE's changed to that of the GT's?

I'm guessing the performance shift would be like my friend's Bonneville SSEi has. You can choose between performance and normal.. according to him it has little difference though he said when on performance it has better more positive shift points after the super charger kicks in.

What is the performance shift thing? and whyd they stop it on the 01s?

The performance shift increases line pressure on the transmission and raises shift points and downshift points. The 01+ models just had the more aggressive shifting as their basic code in the PCM. Its kinda funny because they never removed the light from the DIC on the later models, so if you get a reprogrammed PCM you have to enable the Performance Shift for the different shift points and stuff to be enabled and if you hook it up the light comes on. I thought it was weird on my dads '02 that a Performance Shift light came on since the car didn't originally have it.

Shawn

After reading that I can say that I have a plastic gas tank...sounds good to me since I live in an evil climate for rust! The 2001-2003 seem to be 100% identical.

Yes, you definately have a plastic gas tank. The '03's are a lot different than the '01-02's. Don't remember all the changes, but there are a lot of them and I never could figure out why they would make that many changes the year before a model change.

Shawn

After reading that I can say that I have a plastic gas tank...sounds good to me since I live in an evil climate for rust! The 2001-2003 seem to be 100% identical.

Yes, you definately have a plastic gas tank. The '03's are a lot different than the '01-02's. Don't remember all the changes, but there are a lot of them and I never could figure out why they would make that many changes the year before a model change.

Shawn

I will have to do some searching for those changes. This makes me curious to find out if they tried to weed out any flaws that my '02 has. Do you know of any other links?

I will have to do some searching for those changes. This makes me curious to find out if they tried to weed out any flaws that my '02 has. Do you know of any other links?

I highly doubt they fixed any problems from ealier years. Most of the changes I remember are stupid shit like the pillars not being the same so the gauge-pods don't work on the '03's. The GTP badge is different. Also, I'm not sure, but I thought I remembered reading that the PCM had much more aggressive torque management programming and the shift points were lower, and the governor was lower, but I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure everything they changed just fucked the car up. I would never buy a '98 or '03.

Shawn

I highly doubt they fixed any problems from ealier years. Most of the changes I remember are stupid shit like the pillars not being the same so the gauge-pods don't work on the '03's. The GTP badge is different. Also, I'm not sure, but I thought I remembered reading that the PCM had much more aggressive torque management programming and the shift points were lower, and the governor was lower, but I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure everything they changed just fucked the car up. I would never buy a '98 or '03.

Shawn

Why only a 98 or a 03? or do you mean 98-03?

Why only a 98 or a 03? or do you mean 98-03?

I mean 98 & 03, not 98-03. the '03's were an oddball year and they are just really weird, and the '98's had some Electrical changes that were only in that year (making them an oddball year as well), because in '99 GM changed the stuff back to how it was in '97. The only years I would get are '97, '99-02, and '04+, but due to PCM and intake changes I would try to stay away from '97's, but they really aren't that bad.

Shawn