Cutlass Guage Cluster Change

CutlassSL91

Which set of guages do you prefer?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which set of guages do you prefer?

• 88-91 UB3 Digital
    • 88-91 Base Digital
    • 92-94 Analog

Is it possible to change the '88-'91 Base digital guages (fuel, speed and Odometer) for a set of 1992-94 analog guages?

I would even go for the UB3 guages. How much do you think it would cost to buy the analog guages? The UB3 guages? Is this a do-it yourself conversion?

Is it possible to change the '88-'91 Base digital guages (fuel, speed and Odometer) for a set of 1992-94 analog guages?

I would even go for the UB3 guages. How much do you think it would cost to buy the analog guages? The UB3 guages? Is this a do-it yourself conversion?

The 92-94 gage cluster will be a direct plugin for your car with just the need to add the tach wire. I'd say go with that.

I would go with the 92-94 analog gauges cluster if I were you.

Mainly just because you posted a poll means the digital UB3 gauges isn't that important to you, so going with analog will save you a LOT of time and hassle.

Myself, going with the digital UB3 gauges cluster would be a no-brainer! I like the cluster so much, it's one of the huge reasons I've kept my 89 for over 10yrs.

Guest TurboSedan

i upgraded my base cluster to the UB3 cluster a few years ago. i bought it from someone on the forum for $50. it wasn't hard at all with directions found on w-body.com of course. i actually did it in my driveway at like 3am. you'll also need to swap out the oil & temp switches for sensors so the oil pressure and temp gauges will work correctly.

getting the tach to work is easy (for the UB3 cluster anyway, not sure about the analog one). the tach wire from the cluster just needs to be spliced into the orange wire on the ALDL plug under the dash.

Indeed, but if you have the 3100, you really don't need to know voltage (10 minute alternator change, who cares) or oil pressure (3100's oil pressure is always up high and good, doesn't vary like the MPFI block does) so in all fairness, I don't miss them....much.

Indeed, but if you have the 3100, you really don't need to know voltage (10 minute alternator change, who cares) or oil pressure (3100's oil pressure is always up high and good, doesn't vary like the MPFI block does) so in all fairness, I don't miss them....much.

well, my '93 has the fake oil pressure gauge that only reads one value, so i don't know how much my MPFI pressure varies.

that's really gay

what bothers me in luminas is that from 90-94 in some years and stuff you could get a oil psi gauge and other years you could get a Volt gauge, i wish i could get all 6 gauges but alas i'm stuck with 5, and in my car i guess it makes senese to have a volt gauge anyhow, so i know if my alt is gona take a shit,

i like the 95+ style the best because of the dashboard that comes with them....
Agreed. The pre-'95 design is dirt.

I like the pre-95 design better. Well, for only 2 reasons, the digital cluster and placement of the radio. If the 95 style could take the 88-91 digital gauges cluster and had the radio up close to the top, I would like it better. Everything else sucks... funky glovebox (impresses people at first, but terribly impractical), horrible placement of vents behind the steering wheel, etc. I have no interest in a conversion though, I hate radios down low in front of the shifter. The radio location in the old style dash is perfect for a custom touchscreen navigation system or Car PC project.

i like the 95+ style the best because of the dashboard that comes with them....
Agreed. The pre-'95 design is dirt.

I like the pre-95 design better. Well, for only 2 reasons, the digital cluster and placement of the radio. If the 95 style could take the 88-91 digital gauges cluster and had the radio up close to the top, I would like it better. Everything else sucks... funky glovebox (impresses people at first, but terribly impractical), horrible placement of vents behind the steering wheel, etc. I have no interest in a conversion though, I hate radios down low in front of the shifter. The radio location in the old style dash is perfect for a custom touchscreen navigation system or Car PC project.

i do like how the radio is right up at the top of the dash in the old style interior, less time is taken off the road to change channels and shit

I like the radio placement in the '95 for the simple fact that your hand is RIGHT there. Buttons are easy to find, barely have to move from your seat.

Yeah, but you like those simple factory radios that you can operate without looking.

I like my aftermarket MP3 playing stereos where you have to look at the display to choose from any one of 600 different tracks buried within folders.