All W-bodies: LATE AIRBAG ADDITION

CuttySup

I got in my friends Cadalliac Catera the other day and both front airbags were hanging out :shock: I asked him what happened and he said he got into a hit and run with some S-10. Right after the guy in the S-10 hit him he paused a sec then drove away. Well I asked him what he was going to do about his car and he said he wasent going to do anything becasue it was going to cost $1,000 per airbag to put back in :shock:

Is this really how much it costs to get new airbags installed?

Sounds close. Airbag systems are very expensive to replace. The 'brain' needs to be replaced along with the airbag units and any coils associated with them. Also, the front windshield acts as a deflector for the passenger side bag, so the glass (in most cases) needs to be replaced. An improperly installed windshield could prove catastrophic for the SRS. And any damage done to the surrounding dash would need to be repaired.. most likely resulting in replacement of the entire unit.. At least a grand right there. Almost any time the bags deploy in an accident, it would be almost safe to deem the car totaled.

And to Disco - LOL I've got a few friends that put their feet up on the dash.. Shit I'd pay money to see those airbags go off at that instant! I tell them they'd better realize they're more than fucked if I get into an accident!

I can't say enough on how much seatbelts make a difference. I was raised on the emphasis to wear my seatbelt. My parents wouldn't drive until we were buckled up. Now, I feel uncomfortable WITHOUT one.

Just curious, but did the people you mention in the first post wear a seatbelt?

Yes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:23 am Post subject: Reply with quote

HokemBokem wrote:

I got in my friends Cadalliac Catera the other day and both front airbags were hanging out Shocked I asked him what happened and he said he got into a hit and run with some S-10. Right after the guy in the S-10 hit him he paused a sec then drove away. Well I asked him what he was going to do about his car and he said he wasent going to do anything becasue it was going to cost $1,000 per airbag to put back in Shocked

Is this really how much it costs to get new airbags installed?

Sounds close. Airbag systems are very expensive to replace. The 'brain' needs to be replaced along with the airbag units and any coils associated with them. Also, the front windshield acts as a deflector for the passenger side bag, so the glass (in most cases) needs to be replaced. An improperly installed windshield could prove catastrophic for the SRS. And any damage done to the surrounding dash would need to be repaired.. most likely resulting in replacement of the entire unit.. At least a grand right there. Almost any time the bags deploy in an accident, it would be almost safe to deem the car totaled.

As much as the window is supposed to help, my grandparents, were in a wreck in their '95 Deville a few years back, and when the glass shattered because of the bag, it shot glass all over my grandmother, now that just doesn't make sense, it seems like GM could spend more development, on finding a different way to do it.

On another note, a few years ago I was riding shotgun in a mid-90's? Dodge Caravan, I was wearing my seatbelt, and we got hit from a stop by a Blazer. We went into a tree, and I feel if it wasn't for the airbag and seatbelts, I wouldn't be here. I walked away with some bruising, and abrasions, from the seatbelt, and the powder that they use to propel/pack airbags.

Also, the hit from the airbag really didn't hurt I was rather suprised, because I would figure it would kill, but I always make sure to hit all the way back because I'm afraid of getting hurt.

A front windshield should never shatter into pieces. I'm not sure what you mean by shattered though. They will certainly spiderweb and small glass fragments will fall out, but the window shouldn't explode into tons of sharp pieces. They're designed to shatter, but are coated in a laminate to keep it in one piece. Windows are also supposedly designed to shatter into rounded pieces, to minimize the occupants getting cut.

When a piece of glass breaks, it literally EXPLODES. Its amazing.

Thats crazy if my friend took his car to the shop to get airbags rerplaced it would be the same price as my rebuilt engine :shock:

Well why didn't he go after the guy that hit him? If someone hit me and the bags blew.. and I saw him driving off, I'd have been ALLLLL over that like fuckin flies on shit. Thats a damn expensive system to replace, so a hit & run wouldn't be too kosher with me.

A front windshield should never shatter into pieces. I'm not sure what you mean by shattered though. They will certainly spiderweb and small glass fragments will fall out, but the window shouldn't explode into tons of sharp pieces. They're designed to shatter, but are coated in a laminate to keep it in one piece. Windows are also supposedly designed to shatter into rounded pieces, to minimize the occupants getting cut.

What I meant is it spider webbed, and shards went onto the bag and onto her.

I remeber seeing a Sopranos episode were they were stealing aribargs and making money off of them.

Yeah that'll happen.. I guess its the price you pay for a chance to live. One might get sliced up, but they're still alive, and that is (usually) what matters.

I remeber seeing a Sopranos episode were they were stealing aribargs and making money off of them.

my grandfather had the airbags stolen from his car in the Ford Dearborn Mich. Stamping Plant parking lot. Ford builds excellent cars, and provide excellent security to their employees :roll:

my grandfather had the airbags stolen from his car in the Ford Dearborn Mich. Stamping Plant parking lot. Ford builds excellent cars, and provide excellent security to their employees Rolling Eyes

LMAO, the ford line of course.

Thats crazy if my friend took his car to the shop to get airbags rerplaced it would be the same price as my rebuilt engine :shock:

Well why didn't he go after the guy that hit him? If someone hit me and the bags blew.. and I saw him driving off, I'd have been ALLLLL over that like fuckin flies on shit. Thats a damn expensive system to replace, so a hit & run wouldn't be too kosher with me.

A friend of mine was rear-ended in his Cherokee at an intersection. The guy ran, so my friend ran the red light and chased him across town until the guy stopped and pleaded with him not to kick his ass! As it turned out, the guy had a good reason to run: He had no driver's license, insurance, registration, and he was drunk!

all I know is, airbags hurt like a bitch when they hit you, in my old blazer I got hit in a parking lot and the bags deployed (I was stopped someone backed into me) and they didn't feel too good, but I like the idea of having another piece of safety equipment between me and the dash/steering wheel, my steering wheel looks painful to hit in my opinion, this cutlass is the first car I have ever had without airbags, also oldest car, and I am not too worried about safety from a front impact, I wonder more how the car would stand up to being t-boned, the huge doors worry me, I have been in two side impact accidents, and in my saturn the damn car held up good, but if you were ion the passenger side where the truck hit, you'd have gotten destroyed, pushed the side of the car into the car over a foot, damn drunk drivers. and the first blazer I had I got hit offroad and that held up well, but I am paranoid about getting hit in the side with these big damn doors lol