Driver Info System

skiiirt

I am trying to install my driver information system. I am trying to take out the console (around the a/c, etc). I have removed the 2 screws on the bottom.

2.jpg

The console still seems to be attatched to something.

Do I need to rip my dash apart to get this console out?

1.jpg

Note I have 2 consoles (the console shown had the DIS in it (just removed it) and I am trying to put it into my car

475216_4_full.jpg

In other words I dont know what I need to unscrew to get this bitch out. Help would be greatly appreciated

There is a screw/bolt on the back of the dashpocket that you will have to remove as well. Should use the same tool as you use to remove the upper screws that hold the panel onto the dash.

remove the gray trim around the gauge cluster and radio. there's six phillips head screws, all facing downward. give the trim piece a light yank and it should come out. at the top the center piece where the climate controls/DIS go, there will be 3 7mm hex screws at the top, behind where the gray trim was. there is also a phillips head screw in the very back of the storage bin in the bottom, towards the passenger side.

there are some metal clips (or at least 1) in the center piece around where the heat vent is.. just pull it, it comes right out.

and uh.. you don't actually have to change the center piece. they're the same thing with and without the DIS. just switch over the new, smaller storage bin.

There is a screw/bolt on the back of the dashpocket

Can u elaborate Dashpocket?

remove the gray trim around the gauge cluster and radio

How does one go about removing the trim

There is a screw/bolt on the back of the dashpocket

Can u elaborate Dashpocket?

he means the storage bin

remove the gray trim around the gauge cluster and radio

How does one go about removing the trim

read the next two sentences :roll:

there's six phillips head screws, all facing downward. give the trim piece a light yank and it should come out.

after it's removed:

http://members.cox.net/odyssey37/images/dashcenterconsolescrews.jpg

So I assume that trim u talk about is the trim around the tape deck, around the cluster, has the Unleaded gas written on it..

that would be what I said, yea...

how hard is it to put it back together?

not very.

and what I said before:

just switch over the new, smaller storage bin.

ignore it. you don't have to do that because your HUD dimmer switch is there. you might not have a screw back in your existing bin either, because of that.

Not hard. You just remove all of the screws that are visible, and the piece should literally just 'snap out'. You will have to give it a bit of a tug as there are retaining clips. Make sure you get 'em all though (screws). A short-handle Phillips screwdriver is teh tool to use.

son of a bitch

well i finally got it out enough to peek in. i was assuming my car was pre-wired for it (international series)

guess not :cry:

too dark to put it all back together now... tough luck i guess

guess i will be selling a Driver info system on ebay soon :(

but i did manage to find $15 of lost changed in there.. word of advice. do not use the ashtray as a change holder

guess i will be selling a Driver info system on ebay soon :(

why? they're easy enough to wire up, and well worth it. and I don't think a '92 even could've been prewired, they stopped putting them in there in '91.

but hey, if you decide do decide to sell it, I'd take it off your hands for cheap. mine's been driving me nuts... friggen gas mileage info isn't working right and the thing beeps at me every time i start the car telling me low fuel range..

but i did manage to find $15 of lost changed in there.. word of advice. do not use the ashtray as a change holder

I learned that the hard way too..

I also wired up a DIS into my cutlass. It isn't that bad. Took me about an hour and a half from start to finish. I'll try to find the instructions on the wiring.

Also I heard that 90' was the last year that the DIS came prewired. The only way a 91 would be wired for it is if the DIS was ordered from the factory.

• 3 years later...