DUAL EXHAUST IDEAS WANTED...

CuttySup

I want to put dual tips on my Cutlass Supreme. I finally found a complete system, but it is like $600. That's a little above what I can afford right now. Does anyone know of where I could get it for cheaper, or tips on how to make a custom setup? We're talking about from a little bit before the rear suspension back. I could make a custom setup, but the only problem is the giant spare tire bubble in the way. Any ideas???

I hate the whole ricer muffler hanging low look, so I'm going to put the muffler in the cat conv. spot and then run duals, y-ing in the factory spot with just tips in the back. As for buying a complete system or used stuff, I don't know, just go to an exhaust shop or ask around, there are guys that do exhaust on the side so you don't have to worry about emissions.

Edit: since you have a '97 it gets a bit more complicated, scratch the no cat idea.

If you don't want people to be able to see your mufflers, spray them with some flat black engine paint. That's what i did. But, then again, my car is black so it blends. If you want to get a whole system built. Figure on spend about $350. I think that's how much mine was. Check my CarDomain for details.

Also Justin, I doubt you will be able to get a muffler in place of the cat. Not only is it illegal, but it will probably rub on the ground unless you get a glasspack. In which case you will need like 3 of them or else your car will sound like shit.

If you don't want people to be able to see your mufflers, spray them with some flat black engine paint. That's what i did. But, then again, my car is black so it blends. If you want to get a whole system built. Figure on spend about $350. I think that's how much mine was. Check my CarDomain for details.

Also Justin, I doubt you will be able to get a muffler in place of the cat. Not only is it illegal, but it will probably rub on the ground unless you get a glasspack. In which case you will need like 3 of them or else your car will sound like shit.

i'm sure a 40 Series Flowmaster will fit in that spot. they're only a couple inches tall.

a Thrush Turbo muffler is even smaller, and they don't sound bad for the price.

just get a dual exhaust from a junkyard 1st GEN W-body.
That's what I was thinking. Just hack it off before the Y. The hardest part will probably be finding one that isn't too rusted. Maybe a GP or an early Cutlass 2-door.

That's what I was thinking. Just hack it off before the Y. The hardest part will probably be finding one that isn't too rusted. Maybe a GP or an early Cutlass 2-door.
I think GM started putting Stainless exhausts on everything starting in 93 (well, I'd assume 93 because my old 92 LeSabre had a regular steel exhaust and my old 93 Cavalier had stainless...)

I think GM started putting Stainless exhausts on everything starting in 93 (well, I'd assume 93 because my old 92 LeSabre had a regular steel exhaust and my old 93 Cavalier had stainless...)

the exhaust on my '93 is rusted to shit. no holes yet, i'm not sure if it's stainless or not. i was able to weld on it with a cheap mig welder.

a couple factory welds on and around the cat are starting to leak too

Pretty much ANY muffler you choose will fit in the place of the cat, I have a 30series in place of my stock cat on my 93 GP(the 30series is considerably larger than the 40's most people use). It hangs down like 1/2''-1'' lower then the cat...my car is stock ride height so I have a ton of ground clearance there.

the exhaust on my '93 is rusted to shit. no holes yet, i'm not sure if it's stainless or not. i was able to weld on it with a cheap mig welder.

a couple factory welds on and around the cat are starting to leak too

My '97 muffler looks like it's not gonna last too much longer anyway.

you might want to get the dual exhaust bumper from a j/y too...i think the cut -outs look pretty tits in the bumper for duals

:withstupid: ...i was thinkin this before...i know if i put duals on my cutty, i'm gonna try and get the bumper with the cutouts :wink:

I have also been thinking of getting a dual exhaust system for my car. I like the way the '94-96 GPs sound. I don't want to spend more than 200$ though. I also do not want it to sound cheap or loud, just a subtle dual exhaust note. I'd also want to make the trunk, backseat area quieter if I do put in the exhaust system (Maybe some thicker carpet pads in the trunk?)

I wish i did. I was going to borrow my amigos camera and have one over thanksgiving break but being the duesh bag he is, he forgot to ask his girlfriend for the camera and she went on vacation. :lol: . I go home December 17th so i should have a clip around that time. Sounds awesome. Price was relatively cheap. Piping cost me $25 for 15', four 180* bends from Summit was around $40. So piping was around $65 but i still had about 10' of piping left over. The muffler and tailpipes were off my buddy's 4th-gen Z28 so figure in whatever that costs on Summit or Jegs, i have no idea. We did all the welding and hangers. The hangers in that pic were temp ones only. For under $150 id say it could be done. For that price i will also be doing my downpipe.

damn Jon89le...that set up looks killer!!!

as for SUPERDUTYD...I do not believe exhaust from a GA will fit up the same to a W, although it would pry be really close. GAs are smaller cars, get an exhaust set up from a GP and it would work. :wink: