Need a key made

Kalgorn

but I have a question. Last night my ignition key broke (don't ask... wasn't my fault) and I need to get another one made because I'm using my spare right now. Unfortunately the spare is horrible because it doesn't have a thick, wide back on it. It's really tough to turn the ignition with this piece of shit. My question is will I be able to get another made with the thick plastic on the back? If so, am I going to have to find a dealer for this? I hope not.

I got copies made for the TGP at an actual lock/key shop a few weeks ago.. not only did they have the keys with the plastic piece on the end, most of them actually had GM stamped on them! some had some aftermarket company on them but they were the same key. browse around, they're out there.

It's not that it's really a cheap key... I mean it was cheap (only about 75c) but it's just that the part you hold to turn it in the ignition is too small. There isn't enough leverage. It's quite difficult. This is what my key looks like right now:

key.jpg

Not only does it look stupid but it sucks. That's why it was a spare.

It's not that it's really a cheap key... I mean it was cheap (only about 75c) but it's just that the part you hold to turn it in the ignition is too small. There isn't enough leverage. It's quite difficult. This is what my key looks like right now:

key.jpg

Not only does it look stupid but it sucks. That's why it was a spare.

oh i see. i thought you meant the full-size keys without the plastic part.

it isn't hard to find another place to get a key cut. i don't see why places charge for cutting a key either, it's easy as hell

here's my spare

key.jpg

If you have a small local hardware store like ours they'll prolly do it...i think they even have keys with the black rubber part too

(that store pwns...i can get radiator hose by the foot and tons of small parts)

one of my spares for the CS is like Inanimate's while I have two for the TGP's new column like Kevin's. All the others have the black plastic though.

here's my spare

key.jpg

If you have a small local hardware store like ours they'll prolly do it...i think they even have keys with the black rubber part too

(that store pwns...i can get radiator hose by the foot and tons of small parts)

that's the kind of key i'm talking about

I went to GM they can make em for you, if you have the key its only like 10$. But if your missing the key you need to pay an extra 30$ beause they need to fax GM to get the info to cut the key so it works for ur car.

I went to GM they can make em for you, if you have the key its only like 10$. But if your missing the key you need to pay an extra 30$ beause they need to fax GM to get the info to cut the key so it works for ur car.

$10 is way to much for a key.

at my employer, we get a box of 50 or 100 Kwikset or Schlage blanks for that

I think all the spares for Cuttys look like that big wide one. For some reason I didn't get a spare for my Regal, and its one of those electronic keys with the chip in it so theres 30 bucks down the drain

For some reason I didn't get a spare for my Regal, and its one of those electronic keys with the chip in it so theres 30 bucks down the drain
Go to Friendly Chev up in Fridley. They only charge $25.

I say you're lucky if you got the door/trunk key with your Regal. All I got with mine was one ignition key and a key fob. I went to Friendly Chev to have them run the VIN and cut a door key and the sumbitch didn't work. They cut the key again and still nothing, so I had to buy a set of lock cylinders from NAPA...

Inanimate, if that was what my spare looked like it wouldn't be too bad but I definately prefer the plastic wrapped key in the shape of yours. The plastic gives you something better to hold onto.