Wheels Discolored--Polish Suggestions?

harrydunn

Duders-

Have noticed my aluminum rims are not as nice looking as they used to be and was wanting some advice on cleaners, polish, etc. They almost look like they are water-spotted. The have some discolored streaks in them too. I am wondering if this if from the tire foam I use that gets on the rims (I wipe it off the rims quickly though) or just from age--112,000 miles. Thanks.

Duders-

Have noticed my aluminum rims are not as nice looking as they used to be and was wanting some advice on cleaners, polish, etc. They almost look like they are water-spotted. The have some discolored streaks in them too. I am wondering if this if from the tire foam I use that gets on the rims (I wipe it off the rims quickly though) or just from age--112,000 miles. Thanks.

most likely due to years of brake dust and road grime....

Have the clearcoat stripped from the wheels, and re-clear them. It's likely the clearcoat that is getting old(will looked streaked/spotted). I just redid a set of wheels on one of my GP's for that same reason.

Where might someone get that done? Local paint shop?

Ask around some of the dealerships. In my area they all point to one guy.

Poor bastard must be run ragged.

Anyway. Check around for wheel refinishing.

i coulda swore there was a thread just like this like last week... :roll:

it is a common problem. my wheels look like total shit too. i have one that looks decent, and the rest have water spot-looking marks all over them.

meg's mag polish didn't do shit to remove the water-spot looking marks. it made the wheels really shiny, but didn't remove the spots.

well, the cutty 5 spokes are clear coated...so why don't you just rub em with some rubbing compound? :? ...that might help...i dunno...mine don't have those spots :roll: ...ALSO, i wax my wheels when i wax the car...its a good idea, cause when you get brake dust on em, it just wipes right off... :wink:

well, the cutty 5 spokes are clear coated...so why don't you just rub em with some rubbing compound? :? ...that might help...i dunno...mine don't have those spots :roll: ...ALSO, i wax my wheels when i wax the car...its a good idea, cause when you get brake dust on em, it just wipes right off... :wink:

but see, when the previous owner never cleaned the wheels, methods like that really don't work to remove the years of shit....

but see, when the previous owner never cleaned the wheels, methods like that really don't work to remove the years of shit....

maybe try a CLAY BAR to remove some of that CRAP...then compound them, then wax... :?

Of the 5 cars I have had with crosslace wheels have the clearcoat chipped all over exposing the aluminum to the elements and well uh the elements get to alum. and corrode the piss out of the alum and turn it white.

I buy all my cars on the cheap and 5-10 years old so I wasnt really worried about it, you can polish it out with scotchbrite and a lot of elbow grease, the scotchbrite also removes the clear and exposes more, clear krylon will seal the surface from the elements

My wife had a 93 Beretta Gt with white crosslaces and the silver alum bead seat was all nasty and coroded.

Wheel weights clipped onto the side of your mag wheel will really reek havoc on the clearcoat and hold moisture against the alum

maybe try a CLAY BAR to remove some of that CRAP...then compound them, then wax... :?

i never tried a clay bar on a wheel, i know they work wonders on body paint but i can't see a clay bar removing years of brake dust and clear coat flaws...

paint them...

I will be painting my rims black with the lip left polished. saw another guy with them and he told me how to git r done, so after i get new rubber on they will be black.

paint them...

I will be painting my rims black with the lip left polished. saw another guy with them and he told me how to git r done, so after i get new rubber on they will be black.

definately...black rims on a black car looks tits

paint them...

what the hell is this tits thing? haha just wondering...

paint them...

what the hell is this tits thing? haha just wondering...

When something looks tits it means it looks good.