3.4 gp to repair or not to repair that is the question...

perfecseal

After getting my 90 gpt the place I got it from asked if i wanted a parts car in the form of a 91 gtp with a 3.4 dohc auto... the car is in pretty good shape ...they both are just need lots of TLC.....Well I paid the 100 fer the 91 brought it home and after walking around it for a while dont really want to kill it.. But I have heard lots of hooror stories about the 3.4 sooo I am asking for all of your opinions ... Repair or not that is the question..

Guest Anonymous

If you plan on doing the work yourself (to the 3.4) then go for it. Otherwise, it will cost way to much to have a mechanic repair the 3.4 With the 3.4, if you take care of it, it will be reliable, if not, its a major headache.

as long as you stay on top of matniance with the 3.4 you should be sitting pretty, check the timing belt from time to time, and make sure its running its best.

the mojourity of hype around the 3.4 is not as bad as everyone makes out to be, but beware if you have a shop do the matniance, you will get screwed.

but beware if you have a shop do the maintenence, you will get screwed.

Truer words were never spoken. Buy a factory service manual for the car and study the 3.4 DOHC section like the finals are coming up & dad's not gonna pay for next semester if it's lower than a 4.0 :lol:

The 3.4's not as much of a horror story as many people make it out to be, it just requires a patient, thorough & meticuluous mechanic who dosen't get frustrated at the least little thing. Stay on top of it & you'll do fine.

I have both cars now out in the shop The 90 Grand Prix turbo ( GPT ) 3.1L tubo and the 91 GTP 3.4 DOHC.. theyy both run on a good day.. I do and will do all the work on my cars .. I find that I feel better beating the hell outa a riceer when I know that i have done the work.. Ummm one question The 3.4 has an issue that is strange to me... the rev limiter only allows 3K when in park... Is that normal..