Pinstripe removel, how?

White93z34

alright now that my car is undergoing repairs and the front end is getting repainted which means i'll either need to replace or remove that pinstripe that i have running from the fenders that goes and wraps around the trunklid, this is NOT the z34 stripe

so basicly, how do i go about removing pistripe without distroying paint or such?

Just peel it up? Thats how I've always removed mine with no problems. Make sure the body is nice and warm.

lucky it's not a ford, they paint pinstripes (at least they used to, our old Econoline had a sticker stripe that peeled off by itself :thumbsdown: )

i usually use a razor blade...but, you have to be EXTREMELY CAREFUL!...if you just get the razor blade under the edge, then slide it under the pinstripe, and peel it off...if you run it perfectly straight across the GLUE part only, the stripe will come off without scratching...OR...3m makes a eraser wheel that goes on you're drill that you run along the pinstripe, and it erases it off...

Why do people use a razor blade? They just peel up and usually leave no glue behind. If it does, just use some bug/tar remover.

If you must use a razor blade, get a plastic razor blade. Yes they make those.

Why do people use a razor blade? They just peel up and usually leave no glue behind. If it does, just use some bug/tar remover.

well, if you're GOOD, you can use a razor blade and not scratch it...i've done it many times...especially in the body shop :roll:

well, if you're GOOD, you can use a razor blade and not scratch it...i've done it many times...especially in the body shop :roll:

To the general do-it-yourselfer, a plastic blade would be ideal.

I just scraped the end of it with my fingernail and once you get a little bit you can pull the whole strip off in one smooth motion. I did this to my ugly ass gold pinstripe within an hour of owning my car :lol:

I also took off the "Gold Olympic Rings" badges on bolth sides and back of my car. Because I dont know if you guys know but I have the rare Buick Regal Olympic Edition. :lol: seriously though I still have the USA and rings on my headrests.

Just peel it up? Thats how I've always removed mine with no problems. Make sure the body is nice and warm.

lucky it's not a ford, they paint pinstripes (at least they used to, our old Econoline had a sticker stripe that peeled off by itself :thumbsdown: )

my ranger the entire paint job peeled off by itself :lol:

amazingly the pinstripe was unharmed...but it was a sticker one

get a hairdryer, and warm up the pin striping, and make sure you don't turn it on super hot or it will have a chance of burning the paint, but this makes the vynal nice and soft.

there is a chance of paint peeling up with it. this is common for an old paint job. also, it will be a nice bright shade of white where the sun and dirt didnt stain the paint.

so eh, yeah, just be patient.

I used a heat gun (very carefully as to not overheat the paint) to loosen the vinyl striping, and then they just peeled off. A hair dryer will work, too. To remove the residue and to get the stubborn portions of the vinyl off, I used a can of 3M Adhesive & Wax Remover that I bought at WalMart. The can states it will not harm most cured automotive paints.

A plastic tool and my fingernail was really all it took. The pinstripes came up in large sections at a time.

I used a hairdryer and a credit card to remove the pin stripes on my friends car. This did not scratch the paint. We tried our best with rubbing compound afterwards but the paint underneith was lighter. Not really that noticable though. It wasn't original factory paint either which was probably a factor.

i removed the top pin stripe on my Z-34 as well, it took me an afternoon but basically i heated it up using a blowdryer and peeled it with my finger nails. I thought it cleaned up the looks of the Z pretty good. Havign too many pinstripes makes the sides look too busy

On my WHITE '87 Caprice, I used a lighter. Didn't even leave black marks. I WOULDN'T reccommend this method, however.

why not :devil: ...fire rules!

I would just use a hair dryer and some goo gone if you don't get all the glue off. Its such an easy job that I could even do it. Oh yeah, the white stripes on my Cutlass were a MOFO. I'll never do that again since it left 2 permanant stripes on my car when ther were removed.

well i pulled off the pinstripe on the drivers side, all went well till i got to the rear driver qtr, aparently some jackass decided to repaint part of my car and used the pinstripe as a guide and just taped off around it, so now i have a perminent outline of the pinstripe on my drvers qtr

other then that, i REALLY like the look of my car with just the z34 stripe on it.

for what its worth, i used a heat gun to take the stripe off.

I can't believe no one has heard of the eraser bit attachment for a drill

lemme find a pic or listing...

EASY AS SHIT! Comes right off and NO damage to paint!

ummm...you must notta read page one :roll:

3m makes a eraser wheel that goes on you're drill that you run along the pinstripe, and it erases it off...

3m makes a eraser wheel that goes on you're drill that you run along the pinstripe, and it erases it off...

:dammit: :bonk:

My bad

:lol: