unibody ?

stockgp

damn. can't catch a break huh.how about if i welded in some 2x4 square tubing?
Sure. If you're able to make up for the lost structure somehow, and as long as you put in the bracing before you cut out the rear deck, it should work.

Sure. If you're able to make up for the lost structure somehow, and as long as you put in the bracing before you cut out the rear deck, it should work.

yeah i wouldn't have thought of that. :lol: i'm the kind to dive right in and start cutting before i would ever think about bracing. ok thanks

yeah i wouldn't have thought of that. :lol: i'm the kind to dive right in and start cutting before i would ever think about bracing. ok thanks

Thank god for DiscoStud and the W-body forum :lol:

Can I ask what you have in mind?

well, i don't like spreading my ideas around much, since i've already had a few ripped off (see this month's jc whitney sport compact catalog). but since it's you guys, i want to put two 12s in my rear deck, and put the old chief pontiac head comng out of the little impression in the middle of the deck. i'm good fith fiberglass, and i thought it would look good and save trunk space

unibody sucks, lol my rear 1/4 panel is $3700 to replace :lol:

tell me about it. one day when i wasn't home one of my "friends" decided it would be fun to back his jeep into my p/s 1/4 panel and push it 6 feet sideways. the 2 days later he's of to the air force and i'm left with a dented 1/4 and a tire mark. :lol:

I did two 10's in the rear deck of my old Z - it was a project in a half - went to a glass shop and had them pull the rear window for me before I started - then I removed all the wires and such, cut the rear deck out leavin' about 2" all 'round put in 3/4" MDF on the top and 1/2" LDF on the bottom, and bolted it together to keep the structure all sound and togher, then I cut out for the speakers, and built the box underneath mounted my amps to that, and then realized I no longer had the springs to hold my trunk lid up. It took me 'bout 3 weeks to complete it, and it didn't sound all that great. Hopefully you can come up with a better idea then I had, mine added WAY too much weight to the car.

--Dave.

I did two 10's in the rear deck of my old Z - it was a project in a half - went to a glass shop and had them pull the rear window for me before I started - then I removed all the wires and such, cut the rear deck out leavin' about 2" all 'round put in 3/4" MDF on the top and 1/2" LDF on the bottom, and bolted it together to keep the structure all sound and togher, then I cut out for the speakers, and built the box underneath mounted my amps to that, and then realized I no longer had the springs to hold my trunk lid up. It took me 'bout 3 weeks to complete it, and it didn't sound all that great. Hopefully you can come up with a better idea then I had, mine added WAY too much weight to the car.

--Dave.

well that's pretty much my idea to a t. except i was going to cut a rabbit (or whatever it's called) all the way around the edge of the mdf instead of setting it directly on the lip of the rear deck. if the boxes are sealed, not ported, and well built it should sound pretty good. and with the added bonus of firing against the rear window should provide for a little extra bass that you sometimes can't get with a non-hatchback