cluster question - wiring issues. help!!

stockgp

a few weeks ago i posted a qustion about the diffs between a 90 and 93 gp cluster. now i have a better question, the car i pulled my das harness from had a base cluster, my 90 had the volts, oil pressure and all that junk. so my question is, are the pinouts different between base and full gauges clister? i know i'll have to replace a few switches with senders and what not to get the rest of the gauges to work. what additional wiring am i looking at. and if so, maybe steve could get me some pics of his ub3 cluster torn apart, and i can figure out if i can fit one in my 97 cutlass dash.

Hmmm.. Well.. The pinouts are different between base and upgraded dashes.. Need to repin the thing, and maybe add some wires.. I dont know.. If you can, go back and get the full gauge dahs harness, if you have it down.. Pics of my UB3 torn down.. Hmmm.. I can get some that are "sorta".. Here they are..

Housing3.jpg

Housing2.jpg

The UB3 itself isnt that large.. But good luck gettin it to look alright in the 97 dash! Post pics as you get them!

Hmmm.. Well.. The pinouts are different between base and upgraded dashes.. Need to repin the thing, and maybe add some wires.. I dont know.. If you can, go back and get the full gauge dahs harness, if you have it down.. Pics of my UB3 torn down.. Hmmm.. I can get some that are "sorta".. Here they are..

Housing3.jpg

Housing2.jpg

The UB3 itself isnt that large.. But good luck gettin it to look alright in the 97 dash! Post pics as you get them!

i don't think making it look alright will be a problem. i'll basically do what you did, and hack up the gauges from the 97 to make the ub3 fit. i think the only problem i will have is lighting it.

If you're talking about a Grand Prix, the base and full cluster had the identical pinouts. You can swap it right in.

yeah i'm working with a gp. i wonder why nothing is working then...doesn't make sense. hmm. maybe i'll do try the ub3 swap anyways.

Maybe the cluster's fucked? This would be what you call "A Royal 'Cluster Fuck'"

:lol: :lol:

:roll: :roll:

idk. it worked before i took it out is all i can say. i have a digital one from an 89 somewhere. oh yeah, thanks for the pics, and sorry bout the loomie man.

Not to go off topic here, but what's up with the "copyright" imprint on your images, Steve? Afraid someone's going to steal your "intellectual property?" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay, back on topic. I'm wondering if that UB3 would fit behind the 97 cluster's curved lense. It might fit inside the cluster, but after adding the lense over the top of it, it may block part of it out...

Not to go off topic here, but what's up with the "copyright" imprint on your images, Steve? Afraid someone's going to steal your "intellectual property?" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay, back on topic. I'm wondering if that UB3 would fit behind the 97 cluster's curved lense. It might fit inside the cluster, but after adding the lense over the top of it, it may block part of it out...

i don't get what you mean. :think: the lens bolts onto the face of the cluster. i must be missing something

i don't get what you mean. :think: the lens bolts onto the face of the cluster. i must be missing something
I had some pics of my Grand Prix cluster posted (the one I bought for my Regal, not the one from my Grand Prix) and you can see that the lense covers up quite a bit of the cluster overlay.

I'll post one of those pics, just give me a couple of minutes...

it's annoying and it gives me a damn headache.....

ha ha. check it out. all i have to do now is make a cover out of plexiglass

parts002.jpg

Holy shit that UB3 cluster is tiny!

That should look pretty bad-ass when you get done...

not only that, i'll have the only red ub3 cluster. :twisted: i'm going to attempt the wiring tomorrow.

i decided no to wait until morning to start on the wiring, and i ran into some problems.

1. i have two dark green wires, but the ub3 is supposed to have a green and a green/white. how di i tell which is which?

2. i have one yellow wire, where as the ub3 need two (one for the vf dim enable and one for the fasten belts light). if this is the wire for the bely light, where do i tap in to get the vf dim enable?

3. there are 2 pink and black wires in my harness, as there should be. how do i know which to put in whick slot?

4. the ub3should have a black, and black/white wire, which i believe are both grounds. can i tap into the black wire for the other ground?

5. the ub3 has a tan/black wire for the shift light. my gp doesn't have a shift light, but it does have a tan/black wire. is this the same wire?

6. i have white wire in my harness, and there is nothing on the chart for a white wire. what the hell is it? also, it's possible that the wire is tan or yellow, i couldn't exactly tell in the dark.

any help is greatly appreciated.

I am guess I am, because to me if you put plexiglass over it you will still see the "innards" of you dash board everywhere that you I have circled in red....I wanted to know what you were going to use so that didn't happen....if you are indeed going to put plexiglass there I don't see how the project is going to look "finished"

parts002.jpg

I am guess I am, because to me if you put plexiglass over it you will still see the "innards" of you dash board everywhere that you I have circled in red....I wanted to know what you were going to use so that didn't happen....if you are indeed going to put plexiglass there I don't see how the project is going to look "finished"

parts002.jpg

oh ok i get ya now. ok i made the gauges sit far enough down in the housing so that it sits a little under flush with the housing.i don't plan to put plexi over JUST the exposed parts. i'm going to take the face for the speedometer (the part wih all the numbers on it) and make a template for the plexi. then i'm going to cut the cover for the ub3 cluster to fit over Just the gauges and tint it red. then once that's finished, i'll paint the plexi black, except, obviously, for where the gauges show through. then the curved cover will simply bolt over everything.

i guess it's kind of hard to "see' without actiually seeing it. i figure when it's done you'll see what i mean