Fix it or replace it?

White93z34

my steering column, since my wreck its been in a constand un tilted position, as in it just wants to prety much go up and down however it pleases, the tilt will not lock into place, how hard is this to fix if its even possable, or would i be further ahread to bite the bullet and buy a new column?

From what I gather, the 88-93 columns have more in common with the "saginaw" style columns than the newer "square" GM columns. I know for sure that you can repair the 91-94 Cavalier column ("square" type) when this happens because the cover is easily removed and the tilt mechanism is readily exposed. I can tell you that when this happens on a saginaw, it's more hassle to try to fix it than it is to replace the whole column. I vote you replace the column and dissect the old one so you can learn how it all goes together and whether or not it's a good idea to repair the tilt mechanism yourself...

i'm leaning towards a whole new column, since my one turn signal switch works sometimes and my highbeam switch is totally inop, but its just that i'm flat ass broke and want to make this one work, but i'll probably end up replaceing it.