Power Steering Pump Going???

buckethead

Well for the past few weeks, I'm getting a whining noise coming from the engine bay. It sounds exactly like the whining I used to get from my old chrysler when the power steering fluid was low, adding some more always fixed it. However, the fluid level in this car is normal. Do I need a fluid change, is my pump going, or is it some other problem?

I too, have recently developed a whining sound under the hood. I was told by one mechanic that it was my AC compressor, but I wonder if it isn't the power steering pump. Also, since I have had the car just over 1 year and still have a lot to learn about its ups and downs, could it be a idler pulley? To many things turning on that engine that could make noise.

Is it really loud? If it isn't very loud then I wouldn't worry about it. My Regal's PS pump's been making a faint groaning noise for a while now, so I just sucked out the old fluid and put some new stuff in. It still makes the noise, so I figured I'd leave it that way until it gets worse. It's been over 6 months now and nothing's changed, no leaks, no foaming, and everything looks good, so I'm leaving it be...

If you aren't sure what is making the noise then take the serpentine belt off and spin the pumps/AC compressor. Thats how I determined the clutch had a probem on my A/C compressor.

If you aren't sure what is making the noise then take the serpentine belt off and spin the pumps/AC compressor. Thats how I determined the clutch had a probem on my A/C compressor.

:werd: ...my AC clutch is makes a really high pitched ringing noise :roll: ...it stops when you turn the AC on and it makes noise with the AC off, thats how i figured out it was the ac...@ first, i thought it was the waterpump...

Well for the past few weeks, I'm getting a whining noise coming from the engine bay. It sounds exactly like the whining I used to get from my old chrysler when the power steering fluid was low, adding some more always fixed it. However, the fluid level in this car is normal. Do I need a fluid change, is my pump going, or is it some other problem?

Probably the pump, but as long as it doesn't leak, just use it till she goes. another question, does the steering seem a little tight at idle when the car is stopped. I know that my GS started to whine a bit, and one time, after turning the wheel all the way to the lock, I had no more power steering. It turns out that the pressure realese valve had stuck.

Probably the pump, but as long as it doesn't leak, just use it till she goes. another question, does the steering seem a little tight at idle when the car is stopped. I know that my GS started to whine a bit, and one time, after turning the wheel all the way to the lock, I had no more power steering. It turns out that the pressure realese valve had stuck.

Whoa whoa whoa. Where is this pressure release valve and what exactly does it do? Could it be any reason for a power steering rack to leak uncontrollably?

Whoa whoa whoa. Where is this pressure release valve and what exactly does it do? Could it be any reason for a power steering rack to leak uncontrollably?

You know the noise that you hear when you turn your steering wheel all the way to lock. Well that is the valve letting pressure by so that you don't overload the system. It is located on the output side of the pump, Behind the fitting that the output hose connects to on the pump. It is spring loaded and releases under high pressure. As for the leak, it won't be caused by a pressure realese valve.

You know the noise that you hear when you turn your steering wheel all the way to lock. Well that is the valve letting pressure by so that you don't overload the system. It is located on the output side of the pump, Behind the fitting that the output hose connects to on the pump. It is spring loaded and releases under high pressure. As for the leak, it won't be caused by a pressure realese valve.

Gotcha. Never knew that. Thanks!

No, it's not that hard to fix. Just take the pump off the car, and undo the hoses. Next, unscrew the coupler that the pressure hose connects to on the pump. With that out, you will see what looks like a little cylinder. Play around with that until is frees up and comes out. It is spring loaded, so make sure that it doesn't go flying. Then you just put it back together the opposite of the way you took it off. I will post up a pic of this a little later this afternoon when i can get to my camera.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I've been far too lazy to actually check into that pressure release valve... but the problem has gotten much much worse. The groaning noise is much louder and is going on even when driving down the road in a straight line. So i'm finally going to tackle the problem this weekend. Just a question though, another symptom has come up. when i checked the fluid again yesterday, it was all foamy on top. Is this still indicative of a valve problem, or could there be another cause?