I want this cold air help..

perfecseal

Yeah, there is no way that flows much air. A K&N on the turbo would help the turbo spool quicker, and it would probably be able to get a lot more air. Just my opinion. But, yeah, it would be cold air.

Shawn

well I think that haveing the intake run down and come out under the car where the air isent made hot by the temp of the engin... I want a real cold air.

If it was routed to the other side (battery side), I'd agree with you. But I highly doubt that intake isn't piping hot (no pun intended) going across the length of the engine like that (just like the stock intake), thus heating the air as it comes in, as well. Your best bet is to relocate the battery, and custom route piping out the driver's side fender well if you want a true cold air intake.

Uhgggg, Don't you mean hot air intake? Look where that thing sits. I'll bet after some spirited driving you could pull over and cook your lunch on it. Looks nice but can't be effective sitting there.

Forum lagging for ya' Rick? :wink:

Real cold air TGP intake: http://home.comcast.net/~aldridgec/TGP/Engine/pontiac_jeff_true_cold_air_intak.htm

But then you have to wonder if all the bends necessary cancel out the benefit of actually having cold air.....and I guess you gotta watch out for deep water with that setup.

EDIT: I'm emailing Jeff about a setup like this to see if he still offers them(if so, that's one more thing available to us). I might fabricate my own in this style anyways, I want to find some very thin gauge material to make it out of so it doesn't weigh a ton though.

I e-mailed Jeff (Pontiac Jeff) last year about getting one of those intakes, he had sold the last one prior to that.

Ah, good to know anyways I guess. I only wasted a minute or so typing up a quick email to him. I did ask him a few questions about it though, so hopefully he will answer those(regarding the material used and all).

OK heres My thought.... After working on my z24 cavy I thought about the hood induction setup on there ...Now my thought is too use the vents in the hood to bring the cold air to the intake........

Yea that was my CAI, that was my car.It was my 1st TGP and he fabricated it in 2 days. I took it back to him because it was holding water in the lower section. It was a clean setup but I felt very little gain. I actually lost low end but it did seem to pull harder up top. I later sold that TGP and never tried to get it back from him because I was done with TGPs. That was then :lol: Its funny too because we had a big long going discussion/argument about my CAI being better than other types of filters in a can that RSM made. I have a pretty cool setup now that is simpler and more functional than my previous attemps. Ultimately I believe the only true CAI path is a battery relocation and fenderwell setup.

Matt, your old setup was cool looking but as you found out it sucked hot air.

Atleast it wasn't surrounded by metal that could get hot and stay hot. Yours being an open filter would dissipate heat better than a filter in a can setup. Good to talk to you, hows that TGP doing? We need to get together sometime at the track, I need some numbers for this car. You going anytime soon? The weather is great for it.

Rick

I bought Pontiac Jeff's CAI prototype over a year ago and haven't used it yet. I haven't had the time to screw around with it and make it work. He did mention he had problems with water but said it should be solved, there is a purge cylinder on it or something, I can't remember what he called it, but the piping is nice and hopefully it will do some good when I get around to installing it. I need to get a 3-->2" reducer so it will attach to the turbo, then all I have to do is make it fit.

Ah, good to know anyways I guess. I only wasted a minute or so typing up a quick email to him. I did ask him a few questions about it though, so hopefully he will answer those(regarding the material used and all).

I can take some pics of it if you like.. it's stainless mandrel bent. Professionally done, good quality. It needs paint before I install it though. Chipped up a lot, no doubt from countless installs and removals.

hmm,

Maybe he addressed the water in the lower piping issue with a purge cylinder mod. Thats the only reason he got it back from me, well to also make a copy to sell if the intrest was there. Cool to hear its still around if its the same one thats in the pic. To my knowledge, it was never duplicated so you must have the one and only.

Rick

It's been a long time since I've even looked at it, but there was some sort of cylinder there, and I recall he said it helped remove water, and he mentioned that I should avoid large standing puddles, I will take some pics in a day or two and post them so you can see.

That cold air induction pic and link is of my car. It is a very low cost, easy to install system ($30 and can be removed in 30 seconds). It would maintain the cold air it pulls in from the stock location behind the pass. headlight (safe from water splashing) if I were to wrap the chrome and the metal (home depot) reducer. The air filter is a composite plastic material which does not absorb heat. I bought the setup off of ebay for $20 plus shipping. If you want I will search for the item on ebay but it has been about 1.5 years since I bought it.

I can take some pics of it if you like.. it's stainless mandrel bent. Professionally done, good quality. It needs paint before I install it though. Chipped up a lot, no doubt from countless installs and removals.

Pictures are always cool 8) pease post.