belt too small?

wally05

I tried to replace my serpentine belt (alt. etc) today, but I couldn't get it around the tensioner and such (too small). But, I've checked everywhere, and it's the right part number and such. It's a Dayco Polycog 5050440 belt. What is up with this?

Korey

Have someone hold the old belt end-to-end while pressing it together, and then you do the same with the new one while holding them side-by-side.. This will help you rule out that you actually have the wrong belt(they should be very close in length..the old belt is obviously going to be stretched a little..but not much). Other then that, you may have a bad tensioner that's making it seem like your belt is too short. I've seen failed tensioners in which you could put the normal sized belt back on, but it would fit extremely tight(not good on the bearings in your driven accessories) and be nearly impossible to put on.

Well, the regular belt and new one are very close in length, I have the right belt. The old belt slides right one, but the new one will not slip over the tensioner when I have the tensioner fully "disengaged" I need to fix this quick b/c my old belt IS GOING TO GO ANYDAY NOW!

Korey