The Burning Rom

Does anyone know where I can find the cluster pin-outs for an 88 GP (with digital cluster), and a 92 GP SE 3.1 with an analog cluster?

I'm trying to put the digital cluster in the SE, but the digital gauges are EXTREMELY dim when the headlamps aren't on. When you turn the headlamps on, the dash lights kick in and everything is fine. When I look at the connectors for the two clusters, the pin-outs are extremely different. So I'm thinking something is missing somewhere. :?

Funny thing is, the dimness is the only problem. Everything else reads fine. :shock:

So any info you have on the pin-outs would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I already compared it to the cutty pin-outs shawn has posted on the site, and they're not the same. :(

i don't have the pinouts for you, but you could have already fried the digital cluster by just plugging it in.....

FWIW: the GP digital clusters are extremely unreliable, and I wouldn't recommend swapping on in ...

i don't have the pinouts for you, but you could have already fried the digital cluster by just plugging it in.....

FWIW: the GP digital clusters are extremely unreliable, and I wouldn't recommend swapping on in ...

Don't care about reliability. This is for a dune buggy project. All I really need to know is how much gas is in the tank :wink: I just thought the digital cluster would look better. The analog cluster that was in the car was a reman. and still functions flawlessly, so it wouldn't do me much good in this vehicle. I will probably use that on a later project.

I don't think the cluster is fried, because it still works. I can see it showing the speed and mileage if I look close enough...it's just dim. And like I said, the pin-outs are way off. I just need to know what they are, so I can change them around.

Head over to the reference section of your local public library. There are some gigantic auto manuals that have wiring schematics for whatever you're looking for. It's been a few years since I've actually looked anything up, so I don't exactly remember the name of the books. They were either called Jacobs or Helm (or neither, who knows.) Do a search in the card catalogue for "1988 Pontiac Grand Prix" and it should point you to those books :wink: . This was how I found the cluster pinouts of 2 Grand Am clusters (85 and 89.)

Guest Anonymous

Well people, I read this and had to reply.

I put GP1138's digital cluster in the 92. I have the same problem. Supposedly, the headlight switches and relays are different from 89 and 92, or something doesnt cooperate correctly with the cluster, and it doesn;t light it up fully. I'm 99.9% sure the pinouts are the same.

EDIT: that link shows the check gauges is the only thing different, so I'm not sure what is causing it. I;m working on correcting the problem, but if you come up with something, let me know. its best that you AIM me.

Did your car have the HUD? I had trouble getting mine to fit with the HUD bracket.

Don't care about reliability. This is for a dune buggy project. All I really need to know is how much gas is in the tank :wink:

I know that I am not going to change your mine, but the gas guages on those tend to stop working too....

Don't care about reliability. This is for a dune buggy project. All I really need to know is how much gas is in the tank :wink:

I know that I am not going to change your mine, but the gas guages on those tend to stop working too....

Well, I don't know about you all, but every gauge and display on mine worked perfectly as of junking the car. Also, the fuel senders might be at fault for some of the gas gauge problems. Though like I said, I never had a problem with mine..

One thing I do know is that yes, the headlight switches ARE different for those years, now that I think about it. I got a "paddle" type headlight switch when my "pushbutton" type switch burnt out (had smoke coming from my SWITCHPOD instead of out my steering column, where I've never had that problem) and when I inserted that, the headlights were on 100% of the time, and none of the gauge lights came on. The '88-'9? that had pushbutton switches are exclusive to the digital cluster, too, because they were the only ones that had the English <-> Metric switches for the speed/OD gauges.

So maybe (if he ax's me nicely :D :D :D :lol: ) I'll send Ross my headlight switches (if I still have them :? ) and we'll get to the bottom of this....

PM me Ross!

I liked the push style buttons on my '89 better then the other style ones....

I kinda did, and kinda didn't. Frankly, I didn't like either style. For some reason, I like the Luminas'.

For that matter, everything I disliked about the Grand Prix (radio placement, headlight/dimmer switches, TURN SIGNAL, wiper switches) I LOVE the placement and feel of in the Lumina. The only thing I hate about the Lumina is LACK OF CUPHOLDERS!!!! :evil: :evil:

Also, the fact that the center console has a tape holder that can function as a cupholder until you accelerate, and then your entire center console functions as a little swimming pool of pop for whatever you had in there at the time.

Guest Anonymous

John, Its best to get me on AIM, my PM thingy is blocked by the adminstrator.

Please explain your swappage of the headlight pods to me and what ya did- Gearhead tells me they are wired differently and I'd have to change that if I wanted to upgrade so that everything works with the digi cluster.

And yes, its still functioning very nicely. The volts gauge responds when I turn on the headlights, unlike the old one.