Should I keep my Z?

Kalgorn

These past few months have really made me think about this. I've considered selling my Z34 for a few reasons and picking up a little turbo car like a DSM or Shelby Daytona. Reasons I want to sell:

1) Sucks down gas like a motherfucker

2) Very heavy

3) Practically no aftermarket, and I don't have the knowledge to do engine work such as cams, heads, etc

Reasons I want to keep it:

1) Looks sexy :)

2) Sounds awesome

3) Very comfortable car

4) Drives real nice, handles real nice

The lack of aftermarket is one of the big reasons I want to get rid of it. I want a car that I can look around online and find aftermarket parts for more power besides just a chip, underdrive pully, and billet motor mount. With a turbo car like a DSM or Shelby Daytona, there are so many things you can do to make more power. Intercooler, turbo, injectors, exhaust, intake, etc.

I kind of want to keep it though because I love the way the car looks, drives, and sounds. If I can pull together enough money to buy Aaron's exhaust, that will be a big step up from what I have now. I can then get the chip and motor mount. I might do the pully, not sure. I plan to relocate the batter and put in a FWI. A paint job and wheels would be nice too with 4 of the SAME tires... not 4 random tires. Hopefully I'd be making 185-190hp and that would make me happy but where do I go from there? I don't have the time, money, or knowledge to drop in an L67 but that's definately a consideration for the future. I know some people that could help me out with that.

I just don't know what to do right now. I won't be selling the Z right away if I do. It needs some work that has to be done before I sell it such as recharging the AC and fixing the control unit. A paint job is almost necessary too with the condition it's in right now.

What do you guys think?

In the end, it wont matter what any of us think.. Whatever you would want.. And if you ditch your Z, sell it to me! If the price is low enough.. And/or you allow an installment plan thing.. Good luck on what you choose :)

If you really like the comfort and whatnot of your Z, but you want huge aftermarket, the obvious choice would be to get a GTP (ya know, going over to the "darkside" as everyone here calls it.)

You say your Z sucks down gas like a mofo, exactly what do you get for MPG (city and highway?) For that matter, what kind of MPG figures do everyone else with the 3.4 pull in?

Fiero my friend Fiero.

Light, looks sexy, can do an easy 3.4 swap and have a flat 14 sec car, better gas mileage, and an aftermarket near that of Mustangs.

A GTP is going to be just as bad. First their milege is worse than a 3.4s, especially with a pulley. Second they weigh more, and IMO everyone has one, they're everywhere, they are ugly, and that motor defiantely doesn't sound good. But after that pulley the whine quickly drones out the motor.

I thought about a GTP but I REALLY want to get a 5-speed car and the GTPs only come in auto... :(

And about the Fiero... I'm not exactly the smallest guy. I'm about 6'1" 280 lbs. I've got quite a bit of muscle but I'm still not small. When I think of a Fiero I don't normally think of "roomy". Plus I'd like to stay away from a motor swap.

I need to track my gas mileage again but the lowest I saw when I first got the car was 14mpg and the highest I saw was 17mpg. It's probably about 16-18mpg average. I'm not too worried about gas but I've been out of a job for over a month now and it hurts. Putting 18 bucks worth of gas into my car just about every 1.5 weeks eats up the cash. I just finally got another job now but it will take about 2 weeks to have any sort of cash flow again.

My advice would be to Keep It Also!

Z34's don't suck that much gas...my ZR2 sucks more gas than my Z34 did.

There is aftermarket but obvoulsy not as much as other cars...but there still is some things out there, mainly custom shit though. :roll:

But if you were to sell it I'd say a stick with the W's, maybe a couple years newer.

No other first gen W looks better in my opinion than the Lumina Z34.

As much as I like Camaros and V8s, I also have as much if not more respect for a turbo 4-cyl. I'm not biased on domestics and imports. I have respect for both. I've always loved V8s but I started to really get into turbo 4-cyl cars. I've checked out a few DSMs and turbo Dodges and I just think it's crazy the amount of power that you can push out of that little engine.

I'm still tempted to keep the Z. I want to throw on exhaust, motor mount, chip, paint job, and wheels. It won't be cheap but the rarity of the Z34 makes me want to keep it even more. I've only seen a handful of 1st gen. Z34s on the road and most are beat to shit. The owner doesn't realize the piece of work that they drive.

I dunno... I'm definately not going to just rush out there and buy a car right now. I don't have the money for that. I just need to keep looking around for the right car too. I can't just jump at anything I find.

I test drove a 93 Eagle Talon ES (non turbo, automatic) and it was a damn fun little car to drive!

Basing it on only the Talon (I don't know anything much about DSM) I'd have to say that they handle way better than any w-body. When you sit in that bucket seat it makes you want to drive fast. I'd love to have a Tsi/5-speed, but insurance + maintenance on foriegn car = $$$

They are also smaller (if you carry more than one extra passenger) I think the back opens up and there is a fair amount of room in there for luggage.

In the end it depends on what you want to use it for....

If you need a prokect car to experiment and have fun with I would suggest another car. Something that would have a lot of options when it came to aftermarket and "mods". Soon my bro will have my car and I will also be looking for another car :roll: I hope I can find something I will enjoy for a long time.

Before you decide look here.

http://www.VFAQ.com

http://members.shaw.ca/costall/1000Q/

Look at the Timing belt on the DSM 2.0L and what all has to be changed plus the other parts that are suggested to be changed every time you do the timing belt.

Also make sure you do your research on Crankwalk because some years are affected and some are not.

My daily Driver is a DSM a 1.8L 5speed Laser and I love it. 200K miles, never any problems. Still going with over 30mpg! Of course my GTP averages around 31-32mpg! :D

A GTP is going to be just as bad. First their milege is worse than a 3.4s, especially with a pulley

GTP Mileage is worse then 3.4s???

So far, 2 3.4s have claimed less then 20mpg.

Im not sure what the others are getting. What are/were you getting Aaron??

Im comfortable with my 26+MPG on my GTP.

I do have a Good Sam's Club membership (road service) so that's good. :lol:

I've done my research on DSMs already. I was looking into a DSM before my Cavalier was totalled and I picked up the Z. I know the timing belt is a big deal because the 4G63 is an interference engine. I really like DSMs a lot because you can make lots of power out of that little engine and they handle real nice with AWD, however I know the trannys can take a shit pretty easily and I've heard some things about head gaskets too. I dunno... it's still tempting but so is picking up a Shelby Daytona. I still beat myself up for not grabbing the Shelby Daytona I had looked at... it was so sexy. :cry:

A GTP is going to be just as bad. First their milege is worse than a 3.4s, especially with a pulley

I'm getting around 25mpg on the freeway, and 21mpg average with my 3.4 DOHC.

I've heard of plenty of un-modified GTP's getting around 30mpg on the freeway, so I'm not sure you can really complain about the SC SII 3.8 getting bad gas mileage.

I'm getting around 25mpg on the freeway, and 21mpg average with my 3.4 DOHC.

I've heard of plenty of un-modified GTP's getting around 30mpg on the freeway, so I'm not sure you can really complain about the SC SII 3.8 getting bad gas mileage.

:werd:

i was getting 28-30 before i started modifing, now with the 3.5, its down to about 26-28

i get 28 miles a gallon with my 3.4, and i'm very happy with that.

i'm curious to see if i get better milage with the new tranny, considering this one will hopefully work flawlessly.

Careful with those little turbocharged 4 bangers. Chrysler has been playing with turbochargers FOREVER... and they still havent gotten it right. They are unreliable. If you treat the Z34 right, it will go forever. Theres a guy that goes to school with me with a Z34 with over 220,000 on it.

I don't like the 2G as much. I like the sleek look of a 1G however I would take a 2G if I could get my hands on one at a good price. They're not exactly less prone to problems though.