Power Seat Question

DiscoStudd

One of the actuator motors on my Regal's driver seat is shot. Right now I have the bottom cushion tilted all the way up in the front and all the way down in the back. If I try to move it back to the center, only the left side of the cushion will move.

So my question is this: Can the offending motor be easily removed from the seat track frame, or would it be a better idea to replace the whole frame/motor assembly instead? I'm thinking it would be a PITA to haul a battery around at the boneyard to test out power seats. That and I see very few Regals (especially 95-96's) so I wonder if a motor from another GM car would be plug and play with the Regal...

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give me!

Well it looks to me like I'm going to have to track down a complete Regal seat track :shrug: .

Thanks anyway...

Did you just find that out or are you still curious? Im afraid to move my driver seat around becasue the motors feel kinda weak. Same with my power windows also but I move them all the time.

how difficult is it to remove the whole power assembly with/tracks??? I would love to just put the tan leather seat I have on to the cutty track but I don't have a clue how difficult it would be, if it is even possible...

The seat should be easy to remove when you have it powered up. There are 2 bolts in front, and 2 in back where the seat track bolts to the car. It's a matter of moving the seat all the way back to get the 2 in front, and all the way forward to get the 2 in back. I half-heartedly tried to get a power seat out of a Regal in the boneyard a couple of months back, but I didn't have anything with me to power up the seat. When I went back with my 18V cordless drill (figuring I could find the wires and run them to my drill's battery,) the car was gone.

I haven't seen any Regals with power seats in the 4 or 5 boneyards I frequent lately, so I was curious if I could snag a motor from another GM. I found out that a manual Monte seat track wouldn't bolt right up to a manual Grand Prix seat, so I wonder if a power seat track from another W would bolt to a Regal seat without major modifications...

The seat should be easy to remove when you have it powered up. There are 2 bolts in front, and 2 in back where the seat track bolts to the car. It's a matter of moving the seat all the way back to get the 2 in front, and all the way forward to get the 2 in back. I half-heartedly tried to get a power seat out of a Regal in the boneyard a couple of months back, but I didn't have anything with me to power up the seat. When I went back with my 18V cordless drill (figuring I could find the wires and run them to my drill's battery,) the car was gone.

I haven't seen any Regals with power seats in the 4 or 5 boneyards I frequent lately, so I was curious if I could snag a motor from another GM. I found out that a manual Monte seat track wouldn't bolt right up to a manual Grand Prix seat, so I wonder if a power seat track from another W would bolt to a Regal seat without major modifications...

If you find out anything about this let me know because I might need this info here soon :roll:

I understand that part, I have had my seats out many times, I wanted to know how to unbolt the tracks/mounting hardware from the seat cushion itself.....

I understand that part, I have had my seats out many times, I wanted to know how to unbolt the tracks/mounting hardware from the seat cushion itself.....
Aah, gotcha. There are 4 bolts that bolt the track to the cushion. On the Grand Am and Cavalier seats, the bolts went straight through the track into the cushion's frame. On the Grand Prix, the seat track had studs sticking up through the cushion's frame and were bolted from the top. The Monte seat had bolts, but they dropped down from the cushion's frame into the seat track (the track has threaded inserts welded to it.)