Just Found Out: The Loomie Needs Transaxle Work :(

1990 Lumina Euro Coupe

Well, I was having trouble with the Lumina hanging in park, and not wanting to go into reverse. I thought that it needed to be adjusted, so I took it to the local Chevrolet dealership, and they just notified me that there is something hanging up in the case of the transmission, and the reason that it won't go into reverse is that the drive gears are strong enough to pull the car with the part stuck, but reverse is not low enough to pull with the part stuck.

Their verdict: A new transaxle. Poor Loomie! :cry:

They said that the transaxle has to be removed to fix the problem, I may as well put a rebuilt transaxle in the car. :cry:

Since they said that it was $1300.00 plus labor, I passed, of course.

I am going to drive her home tommorrow and park her in the driveway, where she will wait until I have time to install a rebuilt transaxle myself.

Several people are calling on me to send her to the boneyard, but I just can't bring myself to do it. She has been a great car, and this is the only problem she has ever given me. She is a solid black Euro Coupe, with grey interior. She is really rather striking to look at. I'm really going to miss driving her.

I just wanted to post so my fellow W-Body lovers can share my pain.

All hail our fallen comrade. :cry:

i'd sell it/dump it/destroy it/whatever.

for what you'll pay for a new replacement trans you can pick up another WHOLE CAR.

here we go AGAIN... :roll: ...i'd just junk it and get a new colorado! :wink:

on a SERIOUS note...i hope you can get it fixed...sorry to hear about your bad luck... :?

for what you'll pay for a new replacement trans you can pick up another WHOLE CAR.

on a SERIOUS note...i hope you can get it fixed...sorry to hear about your bad luck... :?

i'm not bitching, just being realistic.

he can buy another w-body for the price of replacing his trans.

this august, a clean clean clean '88 or '89 CS sold for $950 up the street from me. this car was in better shape than my car, and my car fucking shines when i clean it.

this august, a clean clean clean '88 or '89 CS sold for $950 up the street from me. this car was in better shape than my car, and my car fucking shines when i clean it.

yeah...i know what you're saying...i was just messing with ya... :lol: ...BUT...i have noticed that most people on this board LOVE their cars and would rather fix em than get rid of em...i'm pretty much that way...unless there is some MAJOR body damage or something, i'd rather just fix my car...

yeah...i know what you're saying...i was just messing with ya... :lol: ...BUT...i have noticed that most people on this board LOVE their cars and would rather fix em than get rid of em...i'm pretty much that way...unless there is some MAJOR body damage or something, i'd rather just fix my car...

i'm not like that. i like cars, i like working on them to a point, i like going fast, but that's it.

if i get tired of a car or if it doesn't make financial sense to repair the car compared to what it's worth, then i dump it. i don't hold on to cars for emotional reasons. there's other things in life that i'd rather get attached to emotionally.

man that's horrible. sorry to hear about your misfortune. do you have any pics?? i dont think ive seen many black euro coupes

Well I don't have any at the moment, but as soon as she comes home, I'll take some and post them, how about that? I'll honestly be proud to show her off. You're right, there are not many black 90 Euro coupes. There are plenty of 4-door black sedans, but I have yet to see another black 90 Euro coupe. I'll edit the thread title when I post the pics. I really do love that car.

I'm going to keep her and repair her myself. I know someone who had a transmission for a truck rebuilt for $200.00 from this independent person that used to work for a transmission shop, so I'm going to get in touch with the guy hopefully tommorrow and see if his friend would be interested in rebuilding the Loomies transaxle if I removed it and brought it to him. I was surprised that Autozone does not sell a transaxle for it. :shock:

Well if I have the original rebuilt at leas the numbers will still match.

Thanks to all who told me not to junk it, for your kind words and support. :)

Keep the replies coming. I'm interested in everyones opinion.

so i'm not the only one whos bitchy about "numbers matching"

i say fix it for sure, if its been good to you and this is the only "major thing to go thus far then by all means fix it.

Guest BeausoleilRacing

I feel for ya dude... My gf has had her 1991 white Euro coupe (sans rear spoiler, anyone else ever seen a euro coupe w/o a spoiler??) for 7 years and 3 & 4th gears went out so instead of dropping $1500 in a rebuilt or new tranny I got on ebay and found a 1990 coupe with a bad engine and a rebuilt tranny for $200 so now we have a good tranny plus everything else to fix the '91.

Guest BeausoleilRacing
so i'm not the only one whos bitchy about "numbers matching"

For my TA, the numbers have to match, but I'm not so worried about the Lumina, as long as it has a 3.1 in it...

for cars like ours, I wouldn't be so picky about numbers matching. now for an older car, then i would be a little more particular about it.

still having a numbers matching engine/tranny helps.