89 Cutty Quandary--junk it, keep it, sell it?

Claud

Hey all...my first post but I've enjoyed lurking over the years...your posts have saved me from Automotive Hell numerous times.

I have a 89 Cutlass Supreme which much to my wife's undying shame I *wish* I could have tinkered with till the day I die. But I don't have any such time or money anymore and I'm being given a more reliable used car by my in-laws.

The Cutty is...well, she runs ok and still gets me to work. BUT it's +170k miles, shocks are creaking, paint's peeling, oil leaks, the digital dash and climate control are both going nuts, and the steering wheel controls no longer work. The tranny is of doubtful lifespan at this point after running years on burnt fluid, though it is shifting fairly smooth at the moment thanks to periodic topoffs. I frankly didn't take good care of this car, and it is a minor miracle it has survived till now.

Long and short is...what to do with this beloved junker of mine? Keep it and don't drive it (we can't afford the insurance on 3 cars)? Donate it? Junkyard it? Try and sell it warts and all? I'm at a total loss here, and I need the advice of people who might understand my idiotic attachment to this thing.

Glad we could help you out over the years even though we didnt know it. If you dont have any use for it (i.e. any other cars that use parts from it), and since you said it would just sit, you might try selling the whole car as parts, or even just sell as driveable, which it is, and maybe someone will want to fix it up. Either way though, I'd say get rid of it, since its no use to you now that you have a better car. I used to be crazy attached to my first car, a 92 Grand Prix (had it since I was 16), but after it was in a hit a run, I had to park and get my current car. You gotta cut your losses (although this isnt really a loss) sometimes. Thats my advice for ya. Again, glad we could help.

if you had the time and such you could fix it up prety nice, replace/fix the digi dash and other "toys", and get a macco paintjob to make it look presentable, but honestly the way you talk about it, its lived a full life. if you were closer i'd probably make an offer for it, since i need a point A to B car while my z34 undergoes repairs.

I would either sell it or part it out. I used to have a 1988 Grand Prix and now I have a 1995, so I used lots of the parts from it. The shell of the car is now at the junkyard...

bust out the sawzall and make yourself a convertible!

you shouldn't treat a Cutty that way.....that is why god invented the lumina

:oops: :cry: :bawl: :cuss: :dammit: :shock: :evil: :? :guns:

:lol2:

being a former lumina owner, I can say those types of things :lol:

Well, having driven the Lumina for almost a month now, I can definitely say that it's really solid. It feels more solid than my Grand Prix LE did at times. I don't know why.

It's making me want a Z34... but I really don't like that engine much.

Sell the Cutty to me. $500?

bust out the sawzall and make yourself a convertible!

you shouldn't treat a Cutty that way.....that is why god invented the lumina

:?

Acutally, despite the fact that they are the red-headed stepchild of the W's, Luminas are sold cars.

Case and Point:

A fellow in a truck helped pull my Lumina up a hill because it had trouble going into reverse. He and I were not in sync, and he began to pull the Lumina before I got into the car. The Lumina swerved wildly from side to side in the road until he realized that I had not gotten back in yet.(I had to direct him so that the Lumina did not hit a mailbox.)

Damage to the Lumina. Nada.

He almost burned the clutch out of his Frontier in the process(you could smell the clutch plate burning.)

He called the Lumina "One of the most heavy and tough dammed Chevrolet's that I have seen in awhile."

I offered to pay him, but he declined. He should have taken it because I know that he knocked about a thousand miles off his clutch. The smell of the clutch plate material in the air would choke you it was so heavy. :lol:

Oh and I would sell your car before I would junk it. I hate to junk a car that can be repaired.

Yeah, I don't want to junk either if it's running. And I just found out that Jersey doesn't let you suspend insurance, so either I gotta get rid of it, or cover it, which around here is $$$$ and therefore not feasible.

GP1138, $500 is sounding good to me right now. I'm in South Jersey though if that matters.

Anybody else with an offer a little less insulting than the $75-$100 the salvage yard offered, send me a PM.