W-Body Camber Adjustment

scorpion_x9

I was searching through the forums on a subject for a Service Bulletin. i see this step in the procedure.

1. Scribe strut cover to body to assure proper camber adjustment.

I'm just inquiring if anyone was aware or knows how to properly adjust the camber with the strut cover. I'm wondering if the strut cover warps or something, if not put back on correctly. (And may need replacement)

I figured it out on my own... :roll: I just had to rotate the strut mount covers towards the front of the car in order to adjust the camber like I want it. I like that alot better than those two bolts through the steering knuckle. (kind of...) :willynilly: Another newbcake mistake that cost me some tires, come tax time. :P Live and learn I guess.

I made a crude drawing of how it "works".

strutcovers.gif

They, as you all know, have three holes in them. But you have one cirular one and two oval holes that let you move the cover around. I adjusted mine like in the picture. I looks like it fixed it, however, I think my covers are bent due to over-toque so it didn't do a whole lot. I don't think it does a whole lot any ways. The round hole being a pivot point.

I think how it adjusts the camber is, that it moves the top of the strut tower in or out.

Edit: Forgot to add somthing to the last sentence.

I beleive the strut cover pulls/pushes the two inside bolts up/down to adjust the camber. I think i'm gonna take a second look at one of those covers to see if the thinkness varies or something.

I think my covers are bent due to over-toque so it didn't do a whole lot.

I think it didn't do a whole lot because the covers are just covers.

They don't affect camber at all.

To change camber, you have to remove the strut assemblies and elongate the holes in the towers themselves.

That picture made me more totally lost than I was just reading this thread... :confused: :?

I understand what he is saying that he did based on the pic, but I don't see how that would do anything....

That picture represents the covers themselves, not the unibody.

But, anyway, I probably wouldn't know the difference unless I used something to measure the camber. It does look like it fixed it though, and it doesn't feel like it wants to slide around corners all the time. I just need rain to really test it out.

Placebo effect.

Did you take the covers completely off and look at how the upper mount studs fit through the unibody holes? There is no room for movement unless somebody has elongated the unibody holes.