Muffler for 91 GS Coupe - Finally Have Clip of Magnaflow

Curlybandit

I need to get a new muffler for my 91 Regal GS. Right now there is a hole in it, and it sounds like crap. I'd like to get aftermarket, something clean, (chrome?), but that doesn't ruin the sound of the car. I heard Ractive mufflers are good, but these are usually for imports. Can anyone suggest something that looks clean, and doesn't change the sound, or at least adds a deeper, mellower rumble? Thanks.

Curlybandit

I have magnaflows on my STE and I love them. They are straight-through mufflers so they aren't very restrictive, but suprisingly they quiet the car down a lot. It sounds good throughout the whole powerband IMO.

Shawn

I just installed a Magnaflow 14830, (stainless dual oval tipped). It looks great, and it sounds awesome.:D It has a deep, mellow rumble at idle, and a great sound through acceleration. It may be just a little bit louder than I was hoping for, but my stereo is always on anyways so it's not even an issue. I was checking out the Flowmaster 40's, but I didn't see any stainless with dual tips. Regardless, I like the Magnaflow I picked up. Thanks for the tip.

Curlybandit

Does your 91 GS have the 3800 or the 3.1? If you have the 3800, I'd be interested in hearing a sound clip of your new muffler :D ...

Yea me also. I dont think ive ever heard a 3800 with an exhast.

• 4 weeks later...
What!!! A four Seater 91 :shock: I didn't think that they made the four seater after 90. Or did you just swap interiors :?: Anyhow, the interior is identical to mine. :P

I've got a '92 that's an original four seater (Blue interior). According to my info, the four seater package was a $240 option for a '92.

I set up some pics of my car at Cardomain. I have a few muffler shots. I think it looks pretty good.... I'll try to get those sound clips up ASAP.

http://members.cardomain.com/curlybandit2

You can also check out my other car, a 1995 Chevy Corsica.

http://members.cardomain.com/curlybandit

Nice GS 8) ! It's actually damn close to my '92 except I don't have the luggage rack.

What!!! A four Seater 91 :shock: I didn't think that they made the four seater after 90. Or did you just swap interiors :?: Anyhow, the interior is identical to mine. :P

They actually had 4 seaters up through 93. And it's the only option mine doesn't have :cry:

They actually had 4 seaters up through 93. And it's the only option mine doesn't have :cry:

Actually, I belive that the Four-Seater Option was instead of the leather. They were both options. Because the Regal didn't come with leather quads. Or At least, I haven't found one that does. So, I believe that your car does have every option available

The car came as a four seater. It even has the original little "FOUR SEATER" decals in the rear corner windows. I actually prefer it with just four seats. Everyone that has taken a ride in the back says it's really comfortable. As for the rack, I actually installed that after I bought the car. I always liked the way the GS' looked with the rack, and mine didn't have one. I think the rear of the car looks too long without it, and the rack gives it a sportier look. I bought the rack from a scrapper off a 1993 GS four door. It was actually a chrome one. I stripped all the chrome off, dissassembled the rack, sanded it, primered it, painted it flat black, and then clear coated it. Unfortunately, the rack off a 1993 is not the same as a rack for the 1991. I actually had to cut out some holes in the underside of the trunk lid so that I can push the screws through and get the nuts on. But it was worth it.

Curlybandit

Yea, I think that they look better with the rack too. Mine has the factory rack on the trunk. And they look a hell of a lot better black, than they do as chrome. As for the back seat, I'm just over 6'3", and i find that there is a lack of head room, But that is because that it has a power sliding sunroof that drops the head room by about an inch. But the rear buckets are a lot more comfortable than the other cars that came with them. IMO.

The only thing that my car is missing is the power sunroof. I WISH I had the sunroof!! I've considered getting an aftermarket one, but I don't think that I'm willing to take that chance. I've heard some bad stories about those....

Curlybandit

My car has an ASC Power sunroof. It appears as though it was installed as a factory order option, because i found a sticker on it that had the date of installation, and it was the same time that the car was built. March, 1989.

• 1 month later...

I used my little digital camera to record some audio of the muffler. It's not the clearest audio, but it gives you an idea. So.... does anyone know how to post an audio clip?

Curlybandit

I like my sunroof in mine, but it is so low that I always seem to hit my head on it. I have the seat down all the way it can go. I am only about 6 ft. That is really annoying to me. Also, I really don't like the luggage rack on mine. It is black, but I think the car would look better with just the black trunk lid. I dunno.

Does your 91 GS have the 3800 or the 3.1? If you have the 3800, I'd be interested in hearing a sound clip of your new muffler :D ...

Yea me also. I dont think ive ever heard a 3800 with an exhast.

i don't think i've ever hard a GOOD sounding aftermarket 3800 exhaust...

• 1 month later...

I finally got a clip up.

It was taken with my Canon Elf digital so it's not the best audio, but it gives you an idea. It's saved on putfile.com, so you need to give a minute to load the clip.

Magnaflow

I just put a new resonator on today just after the cat. I thought the muffler was great, but it was a little too loud. The resonator helps to make it nice deep mellow tone without the loud growl when you hit the gas.