my latest project *PICS*

1BADVR4

good old head gaskets going. The start to all my problems with my old car. have fun doing that.

well you have it so you can get to the sides of the engine and that stuff i would clean up the engine and transmission on the out side some. that is dirty as hell.

good old head gaskets going. The start to all my problems with my old car. have fun doing that.

well you have it so you can get to the sides of the engine and that stuff i would clean up the engine and transmission on the out side some. that is dirty as hell.

It's cake after working on my VR4. I am 2 hours into the job and almost halfway done. I may do some cleaning.

Kinda surprised to see you kept the 94-only plastic valve covers. If I remember correctly, they were either recalled or there was a TSB issued to switch them over to the aluminum ones used on the 95-up 3100's because they had a tendency to crack.

Nice job, though :thumbsup: . Did you use Fel-Pro gaskets?

Kinda surprised to see you kept the 94-only plastic valve covers. If I remember correctly, they were either recalled or there was a TSB issued to switch them over to the aluminum ones used on the 95-up 3100's because they had a tendency to crack.

Nice job, though :thumbsup: . Did you use Fel-Pro gaskets?

AC Delco through the dealer where I work. cost + 25% :wink:

1BADVR4

Did you have to have the heads machined to ensure they are flat before reinstalling, or is that not necessary?

No, technically you are supposed to check it for flatness with a straight edge and feeler guages. I just inspected it, cleaned it and reinstalled. The heads were probably not warped. It was an obvious failure to the head gasket between the #2 cylinder and the water jacket. Probably overheated due to lack of coolant caused by internal intake leak. It runs great now. I don't even know if you CAN machine that head due to that intake design. It might not line up properly if you do.

The 92 that says for sale soon in your sig, didn't you try parting that out? What would need to be done to it to make it.. umm.. not salvage-titled again? I'm always looking for new cars. After I pick up my 91 Lumina Z34, my dad and I found this 1996 Cutlass Supreme Sedan with a blown headgasket we might pick up. But yeah, if not a whole lot needs to be done to the 92 to make it legal again, I'd love to have it. I know a guy who can do body work for me and all that, because if I remember right it had some slight damage, right?

The 92 that says for sale soon in your sig, didn't you try parting that out? What would need to be done to it to make it.. umm.. not salvage-titled again? I'm always looking for new cars. After I pick up my 91 Lumina Z34, my dad and I found this 1996 Cutlass Supreme Sedan with a blown headgasket we might pick up. But yeah, if not a whole lot needs to be done to the 92 to make it legal again, I'd love to have it. I know a guy who can do body work for me and all that, because if I remember right it had some slight damage, right?

I am still deciding what I want to do with that car. It is still in one piece.

This would have to be repaired:

DCP_6686.JPG

Then inspected and titled.

If you decide not to get the 96 that needs head gaskets pass that on to me. I wouldn't mind doing a set again. Or if you do get the 96 maybe we could trade.

Actually if I got the 96 I'd probably end up keeping it. It's a very nice car, some small dings, but its fully loaded, power driver seat, mirrors, windows,and locks, sunroof, leather, the whole deal. I'm guessing I couldn't keep 3 cars, so I'd probably end up getting rid of the 94, just keeping some things from it like my CD changer and whatnot. By the way, on the pictures of the 92 theres white stickers on the hood and on the wheel, what are those for?

Actually if I got the 96 I'd probably end up keeping it. It's a very nice car, some small dings, but its fully loaded, power driver seat, mirrors, windows,and locks, sunroof, leather, the whole deal. I'm guessing I couldn't keep 3 cars, so I'd probably end up getting rid of the 94, just keeping some things from it like my CD changer and whatnot. By the way, on the pictures of the 92 theres white stickers on the hood and on the wheel, what are those for?

The hood cable is broken and the latch sticks. I had to open it from underneath so until I fix it I leave the hood open a little. I had the car at the dealership where I work for the body shop to look at it. I put a note on the hood and steering wheel that says "DO NOT CLOSE HOOD" although some jackass at my work thought he would be cute and close it anyways.

Ahhh that explains it. I guess I wasn't reading about that 96, it says the intake manifold gasket leaks, have you done that before? If so, how hard was it?

Yes, I did the intake to get to the heads. Difficulty is relative...remember I own a VR4. DOHC 3.0L V6 crammed under the hood of an import. Oh yeah, also throw in there 2 turbos, 2 intercoolers, about 12 feet of intercooler piping and enough vacuum hoses to scare the mulletheads who look under my hood. I put a clutch in it in 12 hours and I think I made good time.