taking engine out

dohc v6

ok i found out i blew up my motor and now the engine has to come out. i made a post about this already. but can you take out the auto out of the tp or does it have to come out the bottom.

from what i understand it can come out the top just the abs master cyl sorta gets in the way, but its definately possable. pull the engine and tranny out as a set, its much easier to take them apart and put em backtogether outside the car

I'd suggest doing it together. The hardest part of clearance is the driver's side, but on that side the auto and 5-speed are pretty much the same, the auto gains its size in the back. Just get a buddy, and make sure everything is disconnected, and just raise it a little bit at a time, making sure everything clears. I've never been a fan of disconnecting trannnsmissions in the car, it's a pain in the ass.

I've never done it on a W, but believe me, for the love of god, take the tranny and engine out together. you will save yourself a LOT of frustration.

It can come out the top, that is how i removed mine, but I also had the bumper, lights, radiators, intake, master cylinder and AC out. To remove both together you also need to disconnect the tranny lines and remove the axles.

To remove just the motor itself, two of the bellhousing bolts may be tough to get at on the firewall side because they are between the tranny and block(assuming you have an auto) and they need to be removed from the passenger side whereas the other 4 or 6 bolts are easily accessable from top of the engine bay on the drivers side.

BUT, you need to remember to disconnect the 3 bolts connecting the starter plate to the torque converter, and I am not sure how hard they are to get at with the engine and tranny still in the car( the subframe may be partially in the way)

disconnect the balljoints, dogmounts, radiator, shocks, and wiring harness. 4 bolts and it will lower out the bottom. Ive always pulled fromt the top but left the master cylinder in