WTF!! *Speedometer problems*

DEMonte1997

Occasionally the speedometer in my car sticks when going above 50mph. This has only happened twice in the last 2 months. It seems to correspond to driving the car for a long time-over an hour.

It's kind of tough to explain what actually happens... lemme give it a shot. When I accelerate, the needle will jump from 50 to 60mph all in one quick motion and then goes from 60-65, 70-75, etc. etc. There is no in-between. When decelerating, it's very much the same, with the needle sticking at 75 until I go slower than 70 when the needle flicks down to that speed.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? Bad wiring to gauge cluster? Bad VSS? Or is the whole cluster f'd out of commission.. :( If it helps, I could get the needle to move by tapping on the cluster.

I'd like to keep the cluster if I can. All the other gauges work perfectly.

TIA

:(

I'd maybe try prying up on the needle a little bit first before replacing the cluster or the VSS. It could be pressed on there a little too tightly. If that doesn't fix it, then try another cluster to see if it does the same thing. I would imagine the problem lies in the cluster. The only sure way to tell would be to hook up a diagnostic scanner and see what the VSS output reads while you're driving...

mine kinda sticks at 61-63mph and actualy throws the accuracy off by 3mph or more after 61mph

55mph = 55

60mph = 61

62mph = 65

65mph = 68

70mph = 73

75mph = 78

i found those numbers by driving by a speed zone with 4 different radar guns that clock me atleast twice a week each lol.

That's interesting...

On my way to work today, I noticed that the needle always seems to struggle from 55-70mph. It'll move through those numbers but it's always jerking slightly. Maybe it just gets worse for some reason if I drive the car too long? I think I'll pull the cluser tonight and see if I can loosen the needle some.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

i've been having the same problems ever since i installed my white face overlay!... :roll: ...i have to keep moving the needle out a lil bit every few weeks cause it starts to hang up...its really starting to piss me off though...(and wish i never woulda done that)...but, anywayz...hopefully its fixed this time...soo....i'd have to say try and move the needle out a bit and see if that fixes it! :wink: