What Is This Connector?

kcac

My car is a 1995 Cutlass Supreme.

There is a connector hanging down from behind the dash, just about right in the middle of the car (right behnd the floor console).

Can someone tell me what it is for? It wasn't plugged in to anything when I bought the car, but I would like to know why it is there, and if it should be plugged in to something.

Thanks in advance for any ideas on this.

overall.jpg

front.jpg

side.jpg

i think thats where a diagnotic computer plugs into. I had a guy try to diagnose my computer about 3 years ago and he reached under the dash and pulled a plug out simalar to that and told me my 02 sensor was screwed. it might have been adiffernet plug i cant be sure 3 years ago i didnt even know how much power the motor had let alone anything about the car itself

i think thats where a diagnotic computer plugs into. I had a guy try to diagnose my computer about 3 years ago and he reached under the dash and pulled a plug out simalar to that and told me my 02 sensor was screwed. it might have been adiffernet plug i cant be sure 3 years ago i didnt even know how much power the motor had let alone anything about the car itself

That is not the DLC. OBD1 DLC is 12 pins, rectangular and has 2 notches on the top going to the right and left. OBD2 DLC is 16 pins, trapeziodal. 1995 was OBD1.

That all should come from the OBD connector.. this one above isn't an OBD connector. I've got the same thing in my car, and it doesn't hook to the radio either. The Cutlass Supremes did have a radio connector similar to that.. been awhile since I've looked at one though.. but no idea why it would be in mine.

My guess would be that it's something to do with the Cutty's optional dual climate control, which I'm assuming your car doesn't have.

The radio harness for a 95 Cutty is called the "Blue Plug" because it's, well, blue. It also has 32 pins, so that for sure isn't the radio's harness.

It's most definitely not the ALDL diagnostic port, which is pictured here:

column6.jpg

It's the black connector just to the right of the blue circle (the one that the circle touches...

The connector is not for the radio, because I still have the factory radio. The car does have the dual climate control heating/ac, and that works, too.

For what it is worth, the factory service manual mentions wiring for a cell phone. Maybe something that was planned but never implemented? My mechanic thought it might have been a left-over connector from when the cars came with the heads up display.

I'm going to do what supreme_style21 did and just tuck it back into the dash.

Thanks everyone

Whatever it is, it had to have been available in the Prix's too.

The Prix's never got dual climate.

I would assume GM used the same wiring harnesses for all 3 "identical" W-body dashes (94-96 GP, 95-96 Regal, 95-97 Cutlass.) The Regal had dual climate as well, so maybe the Prixes had the wiring for the dual climate, although the intent was never there for them to have it...

Maybe the next time I have my Regal's dash apart (whenever I get around to putting in the GP cluster I bought for it,) I'll pull out the HVAC head-unit and see if it has a connector like the one pictured :wink: ...

Whatever it is, it had to have been available in the Prix's too.

The Prix's never got dual climate.

I would assume GM used the same wiring harnesses for all 3 "identical" W-body dashes (94-96 GP, 95-96 Regal, 95-97 Cutlass.) The Regal had dual climate as well, so maybe the Prixes had the wiring for the dual climate, although the intent was never there for them to have it...

Maybe the next time I have my Regal's dash apart (whenever I get around to putting in the GP cluster I bought for it,) I'll pull out the HVAC head-unit and see if it has a connector like the one pictured :wink: ...

That would be quite interesting..

I think I saw something similar in my Z last time I had the dash off... but I'll take another look, since I gotta rewire the ACC power line for my stereo (it's wire to the ECM right now so it comes on with the command start and can warm up the speakers and such...)

My car has a connector mounted like that on the left side of the steering wheel to scan my obd codes?

That would be the OBD2 connector, which this is not. The OBD connector in a '96 will be trapezoid shaped.