chevysmallblock

hello all. im new to the site and a new owner to one of these cars. yesterday i purchased a 1992 z34 5 speed manual with 60k on the clock. this is also the first car i've owned that hasn't had pushrods. so my knowledge is limited. i do have a few questions that i hope someone wont mind to take some time an answer them. first, would it be wise to replace the timing belt asap? and if it goes what could happen? am i gonna have to worry about pistons and valves? also it an oil leak, the dealer said they would repair it before i pick it up. research tells me these cars are bad for an o-ring going bad(oil pump drive maybe). dealer maintenance always makes me nervous but owell. also i haven't seen much in the way of performance upgrades; YET. the l67 swap in interesting though. anyway this looks like a nice forum so far, hope to meet some cool and knowledgeable folks. if anyone has any f-bodies(mainly 3rd &4th gens), http://www.gcfba.net is the place.

Hey, welcome to the site. Most likely this thread will get moved to the whatever section, just FYI.

Anyways, I'd definately check the timing belt ASAP. When you take the cover off, if you see any hairs/fiber looking stuff, replace that belt soon! I'm pretty sure since your's is a '92, its a non-interference engine, so you should be fine.

O-ring leak- Pretty common. On your 3.4, you have to remove the rear head to repair it properly. I have heard of people just removing the intake manifolds and kinda fixing it like that, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Anyways, welcome to the site.

Slick pretty much summed it all up...

a 5 speed Z with 60k on the odo!! what a pick up. You mind me asking, how much you got her for?? dont see many Z's for sale around here, let alone with 5spds, or less than 90k on the clock.

Welcome to the board!!

Welcome man. There's a few things performance related you can do to the LQ1. If you really want to learn about the motor, check out http://www.60degreev6.com and look around then check out the forum over there, solely dedicated to the GM 60* V6, pushrod or DOHC. There's alot of info over here too, you just have to look a little harder over here. Glad to have ya

Welcome man. There's a few things performance related you can do to the LQ1. If you really want to learn about the motor, check out http://www.60degreev6.com and look around then check out the forum over there, solely dedicated to the GM 60* V6, pushrod or DOHC. There's alot of info over here too, you just have to look a little harder over here. Glad to have ya

Werd.