iceberg alternator shipping slowness

pitzel

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, just an update. I ordered on October 18, finally got the alternator on November 16. Alternator was shipped November 4, but credit card was debited on October 22. Item was very well packaged, and properly documented for Canadian importation. And they only charged me $12.95 for shipping instead of the $25 worth of postage on the box (probably because they shipped it a good 2 weeks after I placed my order).

I'd have no hesitation dealing with the outfit again, http://www.alternatorparts.com (Quick Start Alternators, based out of Michigan), and their 'iceberg alternator' seems very well built, unlike the crappy rebuild I removed from my car, probably installed by its previous owner.

Just thought I'd write this. To provide some closure to the topic.

Yup. Box is stamped November 4th. Ordered on October 18.

thats poor......did they tell you of any backorder or reason for the delay??

damn alternator companies..... :lol:

I only paid $12.95 for shipping to Canada, and they said on the website, 4-6 weeks. $25 worth of postage on the box. So they fulfilled the terms of the sale, and therefore, I did not complain. Luckily my existing alternator was partially functioning, so I was able to just keep recharging the battery with an external charger.

Hmmm. Just another note here on the Iceberg alternator. If you buy one, and the battery terminal post is loose -- don't even bother putting it in. Its a very crappy design compared to the cheap rebuilds you can buy from just about anywhere.

Remove the three bolts that hold the rotor assembly to the stator assembly, and take the unit apart. Careful, the brushes and their springs will pop out. Then, use the appropriate small hand-socket and tighten the shit out of the terminal block from inside the stator assembly, while using an open-ended wrench to restrain the outside of the terminal block. Reinstall the springs and brushes, secure using a piece of wire, and reinsert the rotor into the stator.

Be very careful when mounting the alternator and connecting the battery post so that you do not cause any rotation of the internal terminal block mounting hardware.

I cannot believe how poorly these alternators are designed, and how difficult they are to wire in properly. Replacing an alternator should be something a toddler just out of their nappies should be able to accomplish on a car, not a convoluted experiment in electrical rotating machine dissassembly/reassembly.