Got my helmet today so now I can go back to the track.

SleeperRed90TGp

Went on the 27th to Houston Raceway Park about an hours drive from me.

First time I have been in about a year and a half. Temp 87* and get this humidity 100%. Yea it was sticky but not on the track. Had the problem of wheel spin all night. Gotta get the launch boost down some more.

Had an occasional miss on every run until the last run where it missed all the way down and I just shut off. Found it the next day. #5 plug had the top broken. The top of the plug came off with the wire. Don't know how much difference it made if any but I can't wait to get back and try again. It’s also a lot colder now and our heat wave is over.

Had some pretty good runs although not as good as my seat dyno predicted. 3 in the 14.0’s and one in the high 13’s. No, no juice just 93 octane gas from Walmart.

Matt, you can add this to your list if you want to but I think you will just have to change the numbers again next week unless it rains.

Sorry the time slips are so big. I don’t know how to shrink them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/sleeperred90tgp/TimeSlips10-27-04.jpg

13's are definatly possible.

Jud

Another sweet score 8) !!! Nice times!! YES, the plug causing your miss WILL hurt your time quite a bit, depending on how severe I would guess 2 to 4 tenths of a second! When plug gaps on a chip'd car gets closer to .045" missing will occur, good idea for chip'd owners to check their gap every year, just check the front 3 that are easy to get to and when those show too wide of a gap, then take out all of them to regap. Now, to get after you a little bit, need more info or you will get bombed with questions, what are your mods, what boost level were you running, rpms you are shifting at, tires you are running, are you just spinning one tire or both? :!: . Back to the good stuff, go out and find the web site that allows you to enter your ambient conditions and get yourself a corrected time for your run, I know you will find it worth it when you get something like a 13.5 corrected for those ambient conditions :peace: .

Another congratulations goes out!!! :cheers:

Jeff M

Can't one of you computer experts fix the width of this. I hate it when that happens. :evil: I suspect it's the picture. My bad.

What are the cam specs in that thing currently. Damn, I really need one of those turbos!

Shawn

Not to disappoint you but its a stock roller cam from a 3400. :oops: All I know for sure is it's .437 lift because thats the only thing I could really measure with any accuracy. Yea I changed cams again. I am going to toy with this setup and see what I can get out of it then I'll get another. I think comp cams should be coming on line with there roller billet if they havent already.

Get your RS there 1k cheaper than they were when I got the GT28. Saw somewhere there going for like 999 or 1099. You have the top end swap

which is the second most important thing. Then you need to take care of the fuel.

What was wrong with your tranny?

what do you have done to it?

marcus

I'll have to work on that, gotta be a page full. You want the full build or just the highlights?

Another sweet score 8) !!! Nice times!! YES, the plug causing your miss WILL hurt your time quite a bit, depending on how severe I would guess 2 to 4 tenths of a second! When plug gaps on a chip'd car gets closer to .045" missing will occur, good idea for chip'd owners to check their gap every year, just check the front 3 that are easy to get to and when those show too wide of a gap, then take out all of them to regap. Now, to get after you a little bit, need more info or you will get bombed with questions, what are your mods, what boost level were you running, rpms you are shifting at, tires you are running, are you just spinning one tire or both? :!: . Back to the good stuff, go out and find the web site that allows you to enter your ambient conditions and get yourself a corrected time for your run, I know you will find it worth it when you get something like a 13.5 corrected for those ambient conditions :peace: .

Jeff M

Thanks Dan and Jeff

Don't know what the plug gap has to do with the wire end being broken but maybe I missed something. Oh well. :confused:

It only missed maybe 10 times in the whole 1/4 so I don't think I would have gained much. Last run it was missing at torque up and didn't clear so I just aborted the run and went home.

Around 10# It will go more but I am having issues with my walbro pump. Its droped in pressure. Another one should be here early next week.

Shift RPM, you gotta be joking. :lol: I put this SOB in 3rd gear and f##king hung on. :shock: I wouldn't even try to shift until I get a rev limiter. :nono: Guess I am getting to old and slow. It shifts to 3rd just over 5k with the tach being off about 600rpm according to my scan tool.

The burn out is 2 cause I can see the smoke come off the left side of the car. Hum, never notice the right side. :lol: No idea what it's doing on the run. One run it shook like a wet dog and I had to abort. :confused:

Mods. I'll see what I can put together. The big 3 would be the turbo, 3400 top end and the RRFPR.

I was under the impression that NHRA only corrected for altitude but it's been a lotta years since I ran for records. So now temp, humidity and I would guess pressure are a factor? Never seen anything on NHRA.com but altitude correction. Interesting. I'll have to find the site.

Think I got most everything answered. :peace:

Jud

Can't one of you computer experts fix the width of this. I hate it when that happens. :evil: I suspect it's the picture. My bad.

You bad :lol: but if you can get someone to open the pic file for you/off your PC, and just grab the corners and pull them in, simple way to crop the size down!! About any pic software will allow at least this. JM

Jeff M

Thanks Dan and Jeff

Don't know what the plug gap has to do with the wire end being broken but maybe I missed something. Oh well. :confused:

It only missed maybe 10 times in the whole 1/4 so I don't think I would have gained much. Last run it was missing at torque up and didn't clear so I just aborted the run and went home.

Around 10# It will go more but I am having issues with my walbro pump. Its droped in pressure. Another one should be here early next week.

Shift RPM, you gotta be joking. :lol: I put this SOB in 3rd gear and f##king hung on. :shock: I wouldn't even try to shift until I get a rev limiter. :nono: Guess I am getting to old and slow. It shifts to 3rd just over 5k with the tach being off about 600rpm according to my scan tool.

The burn out is 2 cause I can see the smoke come off the left side of the car. Hum, never notice the right side. :lol: No idea what it's doing on the run. One run it shook like a wet dog and I had to abort. :confused:

Mods. I'll see what I can put together. The big 3 would be the turbo, 3400 top end and the RRFPR.

I was under the impression that NHRA only corrected for altitude but it's been a lotta years since I ran for records. So now temp, humidity and I would guess pressure are a factor? Never seen anything on NHRA.com but altitude correction. Interesting. I'll have to find the site.

Think I got most everything answered. :peace:

Jud

Maybe I missed it :lol: , sounded like your ground strap on the end of your plug came off, instead sounds like a bad plug wire, sorry, I was just elaborating miss-fires to other owners who might have wide end gaps on their worn plugs and miss-fires. But still thinking..AND HOPE not having this miss WILL make you faster, faster is better I thought :lol: :D .

As for rpm shifting, NO I am not joking, and got the answer I wanted others to hear, sane rpms levels!!!!...as we get a few stating you must rev it to 6,000 to be faster/NOT!!! So thanks for being another to prove this!!

Glad to hear you are thinking about IF both tires are burning, not just in the burn-out box but also out of the hole and down the track, seen a few with one wheel burning more than the other and in severe cases, only one tire spinning, bad for obvious reasons since traction is tough for any FWD. I have said this before and its worth saying again, (to everyone, NOT YOU ok? 8) ) doing a one wheel burn-out around corners will side load the gears and after a time, you will lose both tires putting power down to the ground, and end up with a one wheel wonder.

As for mods, I think it was just the big stuff that people were wondering, you know, they pretty much all have stock engines (chip’d/not) and wondered what it took to get faster, so you got that covered unless you want to type it ALL up :shock: :) .

More good luck to you at the track next time :twisted: !

Jeff M

Congrats Jud! I'll go ahead and add your best time so far(it doesn't take long to change that simple page anyways :lol: ). The list website will probably be down in a few days though. I'm getting rid of AOhell dial-up in favor of DSL from a local company, so it'll probably take me a while to figure out how to make a real webpage with my hosting space I'll have under my new ISP.

EDIT: Updated, I remove the former #1 time until I can get a slip or some proof of his 13.XX run.

http://www.members.aol.com/mv540paq/myhomepage/tgp.html

http://www.members.aol.com/mv540paq/TGPslips/SleeperRed90TGp.jpg

Thanks Matt.

Thanks again for changing your site. Hopefully all you will have to change

in the future is the times. Nice to be number 0ne on your list. :) I'll have to beat that 13.84 and then I'll be comfortable.

You will love DSL when you get it. It's a different world. I guess what I like the best other than speed is the always on, click an address and your there.

Jud

Jud,

"Offically" still stationed in Italy, have been in the states for 2 months. Spending time with wife and children in CO, school in IN, and currently in MD for more schooling. Will go to GA for yet more schooling then back to Italy then Afganastan. Was hoping my last few years of service would be slow :roll: ......

Last week was awesome, met Skalor and saw / drove his 5-speed TGP, and saw his TGP engined Lumina (someone should buy this car), also saw his brothers 3800 powered S-10. Then on Tues I finally met ChrisA also. Its always great to meet people with the same passions as we have.

Hopefully JeffM will have his transmission kits done when I return in 2006 8) . New tranny in car already, but know with the power that will be applied it wont last long.

Thomas

Damn Thomas with all that schooling your gonna be the smartest guy on the planet. :) Hope you don't have to stay in Afganastan long, better than Iraq I would think. Stay out of Harms way.

I'll bet you did have a blast with thoese guys. Would love to met up with people on this forum but 2 1/2 days driving was a little to much. :(

Keep in touch.

Turby, thanks. Now why didn't I think of that. :oops: Now that my eyes are uncrossed I found 2 post I had never seen.

Jud

Not to disappoint you but its a stock roller cam from a 3400. All I know for sure is it's .437 lift because thats the only thing I could really measure with any accuracy. Yea I changed cams again. I am going to toy with this setup and see what I can get out of it then I'll get another. I think comp cams should be coming on line with there roller billet if they havent already.

Get your RS there 1k cheaper than they were when I got the GT28. Saw somewhere there going for like 999 or 1099. You have the top end swap

which is the second most important thing. Then you need to take care of the fuel.

What was wrong with your tranny?

Believe me, I'm not dissapointed about the cam. I knew you probably changed it since the last cam I knew about, so thats why I asked...there is nothing wrong with the stock 3400 cam.

I can't wait to put the RS on the thing, but being 17 I don't make a lot of money so now I have to pay for the tranny ($700), which will take me a few months. So it won't be until I get my tax return before I can afford it unfortunately. It would've been much sooner. Oh well, shit happens. I really need to get some larger fuel injectors, but I can turn up the fuel pressure and run higher octane to help a little. (BTW...did you ever get my email about those injectors, I'm still interested in buying them) I got the car back from the tranny shop 2 days ago, and was playing around with it yesterday because it had a vacuum leak and wasn't shifting right, etc.... Well I followed my dad from the carwash and he was in my moms SSEi which ran 14.68 on a 2.3 60' before the differnent computer, gutted airbox, and a few other little things (lightweight water pump pulley, plugs, etc...) so my dad thinks it a high 13 second car, I say 14.2 at the slowest, and even with my low boost (~8psi) because of the vacuum leak I was hanging with it, well actually gaining on it a little from a 20mph roll up to 65 when we let off. I got the boost back where I want it now (~10.5psi) so I'm hoping to get to the track this weekend (the last weekend they are open) and see what she'll do! The car pulls pretty good. I think with a 2.0 60' I can pull off a 13.9...but all I want to do is go faster than 14.69. I was hoping to get my 1.6 rockers on it, but when I attempted to put them in, I stripped off one of my front valve cover bolts, so I couldn't get the valve cover off, and when I was doing this I didn't have a lot of time to mess with it so I just put it all back together. I think the rocker arms will help alot too though...we'll see if I ever get them in.

About the tranny, I don't know much about trannies so I don't know what the parts are called, but there was one gear in there that the end was completely stripped off of (I'm guessing it was the input sprag?), and a few other pieces had teeth missing off gears. Anyways, the guy that tore it apart said he was amazed that any gears in it worked at all...he told me I was lying when I told him I drove it there.

Congrats and good luck!

Shawn

shawn you have a pm. emailed you 2 or 3 weeks ago.

As for the cam it is a roller but it's about the mildest thing I have run other than the stock TGP cam.

I think the fuel enrichment had as much to do as anything. Even with the T25 more fuel would make a big difference.

700 is a good price even if you took it out. All my rebuild have been in the 2k range. Glad your up and running. :)

The sprag units are encased in gears but the unit itself looks like a roller bearing.

With the cam you have and 1.6 rockers. Check the piton clerance. Don't want 8 bent valves.

You said, but all I want to do is go faster than 14.69.

:) It's addictive next you will want 14.25 and then 13.xx and then 12's.

Keep working on it and you will get there. I haven't cut a 2.0 60' yet but I am working on it. Let you know what happens next Sunday.

Jud

For the end of this year all I want is faster than my PB. Overall I want a 13.99 out of this car and thats it. It would cost me WAY too much money to maintain it making more power than that. When I bought it I told myself I would go 13's without changing the turbo...thats what I'm still trying to do. Once I go 13's (assuming I can do it on that measly little turbo) its time for the disco potato...then I'll just drive it..can't afford any more trannies. I know how addiciting it gets modding a car...believe me my dad has gone through it in the past couple years with his GTP. When he bought it he said all he wanted was a pulley and intake. Then, oh just a shift kit and rockers and I'll be set. Then, I already have all this stuff, might as well get headers to finish it up. Then, I can't go down to my next smaller pulley without knock...might as well put an intercooler on it. Now he's down to 12.08 in the 1/4. He's trying to go 11's on stock internals, his original intention was to have a car that would "get out of its own way." Then once he goes 11's he wants to get a cam, P&P'ed heads, and a better blower...and he says he'll be done then...I doubt it. But I can't afford that shit, so thats not how its gonna go for me.

I didn't even have to take the tranny out. I brought the car to them, they took it out, rebuilt it and put it back in. They just didn't hook things up 100% properly and I would rather do it myself then bring it back and have them try to attempt to do it right. From what I've heard...I got a really good deal. But, I personally know the owner of the shop that did it, they share the building with the detail shop I work at (which my Grandfather works), so I'm sure that helped. The lowest quote I got other than them was $1400...so I decided I wasn't gonna look around any more for better deals.

The cam that I have will have .455" intake lift, and .484" exhaust lift with 1.6 rockers...which should be basically the same lift as a 272 cam...which I thought would work fine with stock pistons, valves, etc... Unless the time that the valve opens is that much different, I don't think it will be much of a problem. If so, I'll just run the rockers on the intake, then I'll throw the leftovers on the intake of the TGP coupe. But I'll definately check the clearance.

As for 60' times...I pulled 2.0's STOCK. Brake torqued to 3k and stomped my foot on the floor...a couple chirps of the tires and consistant 2.0 60' times...haven't been able to reproduce it since I modded though. I don't think I'll have a problem learning how to launch the car again, assuming it stays running well for the rest of the week. I have much stickier tires than I did stock, so that should help.

I'll definately post about the results this weekend...don't want to leave you guys out on my project.

Shawn