NEED HELP NOW !!!!! **UPDATE*** AFTER THE REPAIR

GPdriver1986

I got to school today and basicly the car was running fine the voltage was 1 line below 13V the whole way, then when I got to school I checked under the hood just to see if everything was fine (alternator), so I turn off the engine and I try to start it up again, it needs a boost. Last night i saw the voltage drop too and this morning i started the engine up and it was reading normally just above 13V. But while driving for about 20 minutes it just dropped below 13V I'm going to get a boost from CAA (AAA) but what should i replace the battery or the alternator?

BTW the only electrical thing i have done in the car for the past year of owning it was a deck which i made sure the wiring was secure and safe. And its been in my car for the past 4 months.

i'm not sure how old the battery is because i bought the car used and i know the alternator looked sort of new when i bought the car.

even "new" alternators can go bad quickly...

Boy, you got guts, i would never trust any vehicle to crappy tire ever(again). They just have a way of fucking everything up. Went to get a leaky fuel line fixed on an 88 New yorker(POS with Wheels), and it came out with no brakes. took a lumina to get a tire fixed(Motormaster SE), Rim came back with out center logo, and they somehow forgot to balance the tire too. To get it tested, i would take it to Partsource, midas, ANYWHERE BUT CRAPPY TIRE.

If you don't know how old the battery is, get a new one just to be safe. Another thing most people overlook is battery cables. Toss on a new set, cause the ones on your car are more than likely on their way out, seeing as the car's a 91. Old crappy battery cables make the alternator work harder (imagine trying to breathe through a straw, that would be a good analogy) and will cause it to burn out quicker...

My battery has two posts on the side and an AUX red on the top. If I ever have to jup start it where do I put the jumper cables?

I put the positive on the aux. post. You can put it on the other post too but watch out for the belt.

My battery has two posts on the side and an AUX red on the top. If I ever have to jup start it where do I put the jumper cables?

I put the positive on the aux. post. You can put it on the other post too but watch out for the belt.

Are you saying put the positive on the AUX post and the negative on the black one on the side of the battery?

Put the positive on the Aux post, and the negative on the dogbone bolt closest to the battery...

Allright thanks alot :) I was wondering because the little posts on the side of the battery are so small and theres just a little space to get to them.

I hate crappy tire soo much but partsource is also owned by them, what we need here in Canada is autozone or pepboys.

Right On 8) I'm totally with you on that one. Canada really needs some good autoparts stores.

I hate crappy tire soo much but partsource is also owned by them, what we need here in Canada is autozone or pepboys.

Right On 8) I'm totally with you on that one. Canada really needs some good autoparts stores.

Here in Arizona we have one on every corner. Checker, Auto Zone, NAPA, Pep Boys, ect...

Here in Arizona we have one on every corner. Checker, Auto Zone, NAPA, Pep Boys, ect...

Yes I know what its like whenever i go to the states i feel like i'm in car part heaven, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways I got back to the car after 2 hrs of classes to see if it would start, it did, so I drove it down the road to Partsource about 3 miles. I left the car running in the parking lot and i asked inside if they could test the battery , the guy was like "pull over here man" so i went outside and when i got into the car the guage was just down at the redline and basicly it just died. So the guy got a voltmeter and tested my battery it said 11.48 V then he asked me to crank it and he said the voltage dropped to like 2V. So i bought a re-man alternator for 112$ and the guy told me "just make sure you recharge the battery, man". So now i'm gonna change the altenator when i get the car over to my house because it needs a tow and its raining outside and my wipers were barely working. I'm gonna let the battery settle down so i don't drain it completley.

Yes I know what its like whenever i go to the states i feel like i'm in car part heaven, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways I got back to the car after 2 hrs of classes to see if it would start, it did, so I drove it down the road to Partsource about 3 miles. I left the car running in the parking lot and i asked inside if they could test the battery , the guy was like "pull over here man" so i went outside and when i got into the car the guage was just down at the redline and basicly it just died. So the guy got a voltmeter and tested my battery it said 11.48 V then he asked me to crank it and he said the voltage dropped to like 2V. So i bought a re-man alternator for 112$ and the guy told me "just make sure you recharge the battery, man". So now i'm gonna change the altenator when i get the car over to my house because it needs a tow and its raining outside and my wipers were barely working. I'm gonna let the battery settle down so i don't drain it completley.

Damn alternators are 112 bucks :shock: Anyway good luck with that and update us when finished and tell us if everything works correctly.

Damn alternators are 112 bucks :shock: Anyway good luck with that and update us when finished and tell us if everything works correctly.

How much are they out there Hokem :?: :?: :?: Just a bit curious.

How much are they out there Hokem :?: :?: :?: Just a bit curious.

I didnt know because I never had to buy one. I just looked it up though on Checker and its about the same. 80 to 140 dollars.