GP seat padding

ThunderBat

has anyone else had this little problem?...I realize that I'm a big guy and the driver seat in my car is masquerading as a sports car seat...but the pitiful little anoumt of foam padding at the back of the seat cushion and at the base of the backrest is actually exposing the seat hinges...which in turn are poking me in the ass!

I guess it must be taking about an hours worth of natural body heat to compress the foam because my 20minute commute to work doesnt really bother me but every time we take a little day trip I come home with two very sore spots on my backsides...this will never do, I wanted this car to be the same highway monster (better I had hoped) than my Intrepid was...I'm never gonna be able to tolerate 6-8hrs of rolling to get to New York or Connecticut like this...this shit has to be remedied or I'm afraid the T-Bat will get traded...(and I really dont wanna do that)

The newer seats in my 1995 are crap compared to what was in my 88'. I still have the original seats in my 95, but I have a lower back support or else I'd be getting a sore back. I think GM went cheap in the mid 90s, cause my gf's Sunfire, our 95 Lumina APV, and my 95 GP all have horrible cardboard-feeling seats. :thumbsdown:

Maybe get some out of a Cutlass or Regal :shrug:

The newer seats in my 1995 are crap compared to what was in my 88'. I still have the original seats in my 95, but I have a lower back support or else I'd be getting a sore back. I think GM went cheap in the mid 90s, cause my gf's Sunfire, our 95 Lumina APV, and my 95 GP all have horrible cardboard-feeling seats. :thumbsdown:

No doubt those 95 GP seats are flimsy. I wasn't all that impressed with my Regal's seats until I took a 5 hour drive in my GP. The Regal seats are like a damn plush easy-chair compared to the stiff, narrow-ass GP seats. But hey, at least they aren't like those in the 88-94 Cavaliers. Talk about cheap!

I'm gonna check out some local upholstery shops to see if they could install a better cushion so the interior will match...if I can come up with anything for a reasonable amount...or if they money they want for re-doing seats is as much as it would cost me to trade the car then I just may step up to a Bonneville or an Aurora...(or possibly back to a Chrysler...maybe a 300M)...although I really do hope I can get something worked out because I do really like the car...the way it sounds, the power it has plus the mileage it gets, the steering wheel controls...I suppose a Bonne would be the closest I could come to it in another more comfortable car...I'll find out in the next couple of days.

I LOVE the seats from my 88'. The 14-way contour to my back really good and have a "race-ready" feel. I'm gonna either put them in my car, but since they are grey and my car is tan I might pick up Davis' TGP seats.

I know that the GP in that year had 2 different type of seats, IDK what ones you have but i like mine. They are nice and conferable to me and hold me good and I'm not a small guy. The 97 grand am that i am driving now most of the time tell i get a new car sucks and make my back hurt some times.

I checked out a local upholstery shop on the way home from work yesterday and he was full of good news...according to him this is not an uncommon problem. he explained the problem is because the seat really has no real springs but either a wire grid or flat metal straps that serve as springs. The "springs" then have a low density foam pad placed on top and the seat is then covered. Over the course of time these wires or straps cut grooves into the foam and the cushion feel is steadily lost. He said he will disassemble the seat, tighten the spring grid and then add a layer of thick jute backing to keep them from cutting into the foam. He can then add pieces and/or layers of 3/4in hi-density foam to pads/bolsters/lumbar areas and then recover. He said I will feel a substantial difference when its done. To my surprise he informed me he can do this in a day at a cost of around $125...which is damn site cheaper than an aftermarket seat and the interior will still match...sounds like the Bat-Command chair is on its way...we'll be traveling up to New York to visit my step-daughter for Christmas this year so I plan on having this done by then...that will be an excellent road test...I'm really glad this turned out to be a reasonable fix cuz deep down I didnt want to trade the car (although one tiny little thing I noticed on the Bonneville that for some reason I just really liked...that ignition key switch on the dash instead of the column is cool man!)

Regal seats are the most comfterable seats ive ridden in. Ive been on 6 hour trips straight and not one bit of car ass :lol:

Damn Straight! The I love the seats in my GS Four seater. More comfortable than any car my family has ever owned. Except for our 81 Park avenue.

Regal seats are the most comfterable seats ive ridden in. Ive been on 6 hour trips straight and not one bit of car ass :lol:

Except for our 81 Park avenue.

Which is also a Buick :lol:

I just love those quad bucket seats...I think that is just a way cool interior...as a matter of fact, I've been giving strong consideration to picking up a Cutty vert as a second car(so I wouldnt have to drive it in the winter)...and I would definitely want the quad bucket interior in that car.