Washing carpets

GutlessSupreme

So yea, I plan on gutting the interior of the new TGP and cleaning the hell out of it.. new front seat upholstery, get the rears looking a little bit better, steam clean carpets, etc.

All the side carpeting and stuff though.. on the doors, in the 1/4s behind the doors, all those smaller pieces; if I tried just tearing those out and throwing them in the washing machine, would they fall apart? not necessarily the upper material on the door.. but the floor-carpet-like-stuff. Would they hold up? Or would the glue say FU and let them fall into 10k strands in the wash...

and getting the carpet like stuff off the doors may be a bit tricky....i had a basterd of a time doing my 1992 CS and then getting it back on is even worse....for some reason its always smaller when you try to put it back on :x

My CS carpets came out bigger :cry: too much stretching when I pulled them off.

Half of the carpets in this car need to be reglued anyway.. i dunno.

I use this carpet cleaning spray called Spot Shot. It works really good. My front carpets when I bought my car were like half black. After a good cleaning with the spot shot they looked like new.

Machine wash cold or warm water, they should come out okay.

I put small pieces from my TGP (like the cloth on the pass thru door and rear center console) in the clothes washer, and they came out very clean.

I put one floor mat in the washer, and it too came out very clean. Then I got encouraged and put more in the washer, but the agitator thing messed up the floor mat carpet. So sometimes it works great, sometimes it doesn't. The single pieces would probably come out fine though. I was willing to take the risk because my carpet pieces were so filthy, if it ruined them, I was just going to buy new carpet.

I also got some floor mats for my car at Walmart for 17 bucks and a couple of them are already falling apart :x Ive only had them for about a month.

I picked up some blue ones for the CS a few months ago and the carpet part of it is already fraying and shit also.. pos. too bad too, they looked really good.

I also got some floor mats for my car at Walmart for 17 bucks and a couple of them are already falling apart :x Ive only had them for about a month.

I picked up some blue ones for the CS a few months ago and the carpet part of it is already fraying and shit also.. pos. too bad too, they looked really good.

Same here. The carpet is all pulling out of them. I think ill wait till these ones are in so e real bad shape then go buy some nice ones.

I also had problems with those carpets from Wal-Mart in my RX-7. After a week of clutching I wore a hole threw the carpet so I got the rubber ones like I have in my Lumina. Don't look as nice, but protects better in my opionion plus in areas with snow and salt and rain/mud it collects and is way easier to clean, just remove and pressure wash! :D

As for the original question I'd say it will fall apart, or at least weaken the fall apart later on after you put the carpet back in.

- Jeff L.

carpet floormats are dumb. i don't see why people buy them for protection.

floor mat carpet won't protect any better than floor carpet.

Well my original carpet had some holes in it and kept getting stains so now when someone spills something it goes on the floormat instead of the original carpet. Same with the holes too.

I went to the wreckers and got the best car mats i could find, the ones that cost like 15$ for one, i got all for of them for like 7$ and all they just needed was a wash because they were covered with dirt.

ive heard of people totally taking out the front seats, and maybe the console?? and renting one of those carpet cleaners. I am probably gonna do that next spring.

I get carpet floormats for the spring-fall months, and switch to heavy duty rubber ones for winter.

By the way, GutlessSupreme, when did you get a TGP???

I use this carpet cleaning spray called Spot Shot. It works really good. My front carpets when I bought my car were like half black. After a good cleaning with the spot shot they looked like new.

yea thats some good stuff 8)

Damn I guess i'm lucky my dad owns a carpet cleaning business. If anyone is ever out this way let me know, I can get you a good deal. (cleans way better then any of those rent-a-machines)

I saw on a car show on TV once about using a brush and shampoo on carpet... never tried it myself. I've seen stuff at the store specifically for that which has brush on the end of the can.

My car came with tan rubber floor mats which match the interior perfectly. 8) The original were in the trunk in very clean condition.

Now I just gotta see if they make any tan seatcovers that I can put on my power seats from my 88', cause the seats in my 95 suck ass.