cutty keys

hosser

Has anyone else had any problems with the stupid keys that they make for most w-bodys? the 'security' key that has the chip like thing on them? I have to fiddle with the stupid key for a few minutes before it will turn over. I have had two new keys made and those arent cheap they all have the the same problems. I am thinking something internal with the ignition (i.e the spring-loaded mechanizm that pushes against the metal part of the 'chip' looking object on the key" Any way to disable it so i dont need the security? Or to fix the ignition without spending an fortune to get "Genuine GM Parts and Service"

Has anyone else had any problems with the stupid keys that they make for most w-bodys? the 'security' key that has the chip like thing on them?

I have never had any problems with my cutty key with the chip......

....also FWIW: most w-bodies don't have that style key, most of them have the big ugly ass ignition key.....

DiscoStudd did a write up on how to disable the VATs system your talking about. I also have had problems with that chip. One time I couldne drive to work bc the key didnt work and my mom had the spare :x

Uh-oh, another VATS problem. It looks like I might have to do a write-up like I did for the signal switch on the 94-UP (1st Gen) W-Bodies.

Here's the posts that Hokem mentioned:

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17432&highlight=vats

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21901&highlight=vats

BTW, that's a sweet Cutty you have there :thumbsup: ! I really dig those seats!!! Was your steering column always charcoal or did you replace yours with a charcoal one and forget to paint it tan? My GP's interior is all tan except for the wheel, column, upper and lower console, and dash bezel. I'm thinking about painting all of those parts tan to match the rest of the interior and get a tan wheel from another W (like a Monte...)

Was your steering column always charcoal or did you replace yours with a charcoal one and forget to paint it tan? My GP's interior is all tan except for the wheel, column, upper and lower console, and dash bezel. I'm thinking about painting all of those parts tan to match the rest of the interior and get a tan wheel from another W (like a Monte...)

My column is charcoal too

Was your steering column always charcoal or did you replace yours with a charcoal one and forget to paint it tan? My GP's interior is all tan except for the wheel, column, upper and lower console, and dash bezel. I'm thinking about painting all of those parts tan to match the rest of the interior and get a tan wheel from another W (like a Monte...)

My column is charcoal too

:werd: ...same here...