Console swapping? Ideas/Help?

OldsmoBeast

Okay, heres the scoop...(you can skip this paragraph if you want)

One of my asshat friends was being himself and decides to dive (like superman :roll: ) into my back seats...runs, jumps, lands....with his shoulder on my console...kinda fucked it up... Well I was pretty pissed, and I know these things are hard enough to come by. (95+ console that everyone seems to want to swap in..) plus I love the damn thing and I use the cupholders for everything from my cell phone to cups...in fact the Lexus and Benz annoy me because I'm so used to my cupholders there. anyway...rantings aside...I'm praying to find a console like this... and I will eventually, but heres the real question:

Can a 97+ GP center console be swapped into a 1st gen?

my feeling is that it will probably be too wide...I can't remember off hand what the 97+ console looked like but I remember it was smooth...i'm gonna look it up in a minute...but in any case...anyone have any other ideas for a custom console or a wicked swap?

Thanks!!

YK

http://www.clubgp.com/cgi-asp/mods.asp?modid=49

Should be of SOME aid.. lol

Very helpful....wow... and timely...holy crap you're awesome.

It looks like that console cubby is quite a bit taller than mine, but I can always grab one and find out.....maybe even tomorrow! or Monday! besides...a saw and some sandpaper can probably fix that...maybe that's what I'll end up doing after all

Thanks steve!!

http://www.clubgp.com/cgi-asp/mods.asp?modid=49

Should be of SOME aid.. lol

Very helpful....wow... and timely...holy crap you're awesome.

It looks like that console cubby is quite a bit taller than mine, but I can always grab one and find out.....maybe even tomorrow! or Monday! besides...a saw and some sandpaper can probably fix that...maybe that's what I'll end up doing after all

Thanks steve!!

C'mon Steve, give credit where it's due!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually I dropped that link into another thread just yesterday :wink: .

I swiped an armrest off of a console in a 94 GP today at the boneyard, and the rest of the console was in mint condition (save for the stupid 94 GP upper console with the cupholders in front of the shifter.) Now that I think of it, it would cost an arm and a leg to ship it out to you, but maybe if you still need it in a week or so, I could go back and grab it for ya (provided it's still there and not all busted to shit.) Lemme know if you're interested at all...

Thank you too DiscoStudd...As for the console...I managed to peice mine back together and its still usable...but I figured, while its out, I could think up something somewhat custom....at any rate, I'm going to check out the boneyards for a GenII console, I think I know where I can get one really cheap. Thank you very much for the offer tho. Truly appreciated.

YK

what part of YOUR console is broke?...cause the hinge on mine freakin broke...now the lid falls off all the time...if your's is broke somewhere else and you decide to swap to a gen II console, i'd be interested in purchasing the lid & hinge off your old console... :wink:

what part of YOUR console is broke?...cause the hinge on mine freakin broke...now the lid falls off all the time...if your's is broke somewhere else and you decide to swap to a gen II console, i'd be interested in purchasing the lid & hinge off your old console... :wink:
My GP's lid was snapped off at the hinge as well. I lucked out and found a good lid in the boneyard yesterday :D ... I was just going to piece the old one back together using a small block of wood in the "pocket" of the hinge area to run some screws into to hold it all in place. Shouldn't be too hard to fix if ya ask me...

Piece of plastic off the ashtray and the top of the back split into two peices...the screws that hold both halves together broke free from their mounts or whatever....i put it all back together but its not perfect...the two screws were pretty much rendered useless...aside from that the whole damn thing is perfect. If I do find a suitable GenII replacement, I will definitely consider giving you parts of mine.