Leaky trunk...

DiscoStudd

Anyone who's addressed this problem, please answer me this:

The decklid on my Grand Prix leaks around the weatherstripping. I can tell this because the weatherstripping is wet around the top (whereas on a car that is leak-free, the WS isn't wet on the top because of the tight seal.) On to the question, should I try to adjust the latch mechanism first before attempting to replace the WS? The WS doesn't look worn out or "deflated," so I was thinking that if I moved the latch down a hair it would seal better.

Has anyone tried this before, or should I just go ahead and get some new weatherstripping?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks...

That would probably help, however when closed your trunk lid wouldn't be aligned as well anymore (the rear part will be higher then the trunk lid). Also, much sure the trunk lid doesn't crack or shatter the tail light lenses by making the trunk lid close to far.

Just my two cents

- Jeff L.

Disco, the trunk leaks on my '92 Lumina too. It drips down the right side and into the trunk where there's a weld seam.

I tried to silicone around the seam, but the leak remains. I have a feeling that the water is coming in from around the rear window into the trunk, travels down alond the underside of the weatherstrip rail and drips where the seam is.

My weatherstrip also gets wet around the top surface, but it's wet where the leak isn't dripping into the trunk. Of course water can get in anywhere and drip into the trunk from anywhere so this might not prove anything.

I'm planning to get into the trunk and close it up. Then have the wife use the garden hose around the window and trunk lid to see where the leak might be coming from. Of couse, I'm going to do this when she isn't pissed at me. I might not get out of the trunk until spring.

Only one way to find out for sure where its leaking. Get in the trunk and have someone water it down with a hose. Mine was leaking around the antenna, tail light, and at the seam. Probably going to leak somewhere else too.

Of couse, I'm going to do this when she isn't pissed at me. I might not get out of the trunk until spring.

:lol:

Adjust the latch first, if you can. You may run into things looking a little 'off' as far as alignment.. not sure how adjustable the latch is. Mine leaks as well.. just haven't sat down to determine where from. The spare wheel well is full of musky water as we speak.

Of couse, I'm going to do this when she isn't pissed at me. I might not get out of the trunk until spring.

:lol:

Adjust the latch first, if you can. You may run into things looking a little 'off' as far as alignment.. not sure how adjustable the latch is. Mine leaks as well.. just haven't sat down to determine where from. The spare wheel well is full of musky water as we speak.

My lumina had been ass-ended before i bought it and never could stop the leak. i ended up drilling a drain hole in the spare tire well to let the water out and left it at that.

Thanks for all the suggestions, gentlemen. I think I'll try dropping the "catch" a tiny bit (if it's even possible.) I'm pretty sure it's leaking in around the weatherstripping because the water spots on the carpet line up perfectly with the WS area.

I like the idea of locking yourself in the trunk and having someone douse the area with a hose. I'll most definitely make sure my wife isn't pissed at me when I decide to do this :lol: ...

If all else fails, I guess I'll take Rider's suggestion and drill a hole in the spare tire well :D ...

When I look in my trunk and take the carpet out there is this wierd cocking stuff in between all the cracks??? It looks like someone just slopped it on because its all bubbled and shit. Is that from the factory or did someone do this to stop leaks? Oh and the Regal doesent leak one drop :D

When I look in my trunk and take the carpet out there is this wierd cocking stuff in between all the cracks??? It looks like someone just slopped it on because its all bubbled and shit. Is that from the factory or did someone do this to stop leaks? Oh and the Regal doesent leak one drop :D

i'd say that is PROBABLY factory...they fill the seams with some wicked seam sealer...

i'd say that is PROBABLY factory...they fill the seams with some wicked seam sealer...

Yea it looks like some guy got crazy with the filling foam :lol: Couldent I just sand that stuff down?

My Regal has a bit of that stuff in the lower seams, too. I'd just leave it, it's not that big of a deal. My Reeg doesn't drop one bit, either :D ...

ok there is a seam on the trunk rim that is most likley leaking. Your problem sounds like the leak I had on my 1991 Lumina. All I did was buy some of that stop leak stuff sprayed it on the seam and all the other seams inside and out and the leaks stopped.

i wrote up an article on here awhile back about how to stop trunk leaking or flooding like mine was (i'd get almost an inch of watter in some places). while what i did didn't 100% fix it it helped a ton. from what i've seen water likes to get in from around the wheel well, i got a tube of rtv silicone and went wild, resealing all the factory seams.

Edit: do a search for my name and words like trunk and leak stoping that article i posted awhile back oughta come up.