So I got the horn now I got problems UPDATE

HokemBokem

So I went to AutoZone the other day and bought a new horn that has twice the decibles as a stock horn. It only has one connection that says 12V on it. Well my Buick has 2 horns and each horn has 2 wires going to it(a black and a green) that connects to the horn by a wierd connector. So I cut the connector off one of the horns and stripped the 2 wires and connected one to the horn and the other to a piece of metal to ground it and nothing happens. I tried just about every combo with the wires and nothing gets the horn to work???????? Do you guys have any idea on how to get this horn to make a sound!?!??!?! It came with no directions either.

Take a piece of wire and crimp a ring terminal on the end of it. Bolt the ring terminal to the bracket bolt on the horn, then hook that wire to the black wire on the car. Hook the car's green wire to the terminal on the horn.

If this doesn't work, listen for a click when you press down on the horn button. If you hear a click, the relay's good. If you don't hear a click, either your relay's bad, or there's a bad connection in the steering column...

Take a piece of wire and crimp a ring terminal on the end of it. Bolt the ring terminal to the bracket bolt on the horn, then hook that wire to the black wire on the car. Hook the car's green wire to the terminal on the horn.

If this doesn't work, listen for a click when you press down on the horn button. If you hear a click, the relay's good. If you don't hear a click, either your relay's bad, or there's a bad connection in the steering column...

......or you blew out your horn fuse experimenting....lol

I would have to agree with Midnight Rider on this one. When I was trying to get the horn to work on my 88 regal, I actually did blow the fuse in hooking up a different horn. And BTW, the horns on my car sounded weak and dead, turns out the problem is a weak relay, which I haven't fixed yet.

i want one of the horns that the General Lee had on the Dukes of Hazzard

you mean a DIXIE HORN!?...:wink: ...you should get one! :lol: ...AND back on subject...i'm with some of the others...i say CHECK THE RELAY AND THE FUSE...hook the green wire to the horn...hook the black to a ring connector and bolt it to the horn bracket...then it SHOULD (in theory) WORK!

i want one of the horns that the General Lee had on the Dukes of Hazzard

you mean a DIXIE HORN!?...:wink: ...you should get one! :lol: ...AND back on subject...i'm with some of the others...i say CHECK THE RELAY AND THE FUSE...hook the green wire to the horn...hook the black to a ring connector and to a good ground...then it SHOULD (in theory) WORK!

its called a dixie horn then? i'll pick one up.

I do hear a click when experimenting but I did try the green one on the horn and the black on a ground. But I didnt get the full wire on the piece of metal? Does it have to completely touch the metal? Also I already have replaced a fuse today bc of experimenting with it, I put both black and green on the horn :roll:

another idea...if you're not sure which wire is hot and which is ground...is to get a TEST LIGHT then have someone push the horn button and check and see which wire has power...then put THAT wire on the horn and ground the other...i'm 100% sure the green would be positive though...and YES...you need to strip the ground wire and maybe shove it under the screw that holds the horn on then tighten it down...or put a RING connector on it and put it behind the horn screw...

Allright well tommorow right when I wake up im going to give it another try. Also, these 2 wires dont want to strip that well. Little shreds of plastic stay on the wire even after I run it threw a stripper or I strip to much and cut some of the copper inside.

Allright well tommorow right when I wake up im going to give it another try. Also, these 2 wires dont want to strip that well. Little shreds of plastic stay on the wire even after I run it threw a stripper or I strip to much and cut some of the copper inside.

Be a man and use your teeth to strip those wires!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well I just got done trying it for about an hour and still not a sound. I grounded the black wire fully and then I attached the green wire to the 12V hook on the horn and still nothing works :x Does the horn need to be mounted on metal when I ground it bc I was just trying it without the horn hooked up. Ive tried every combo and even replaced a fuse. This is starting to piss me off.

You should try to bolt the horn down, even though it has a separate ground wire.

Try to grab someone's volt meter (or take a test light like it was suggested before) and check for voltage at the green wire (hook up one lead to the green wire and the other to an unpainted metal part, or even the negative battery terminal) then have someone press the horn button.

If you have voltage going to the horn, then it's probably a dud or it isn't getting grounded properly.

You should try to bolt the horn down, even though it has a separate ground wire.

Try to grab someone's volt meter (or take a test light like it was suggested before) and check for voltage at the green wire (hook up one lead to the green wire and the other to an unpainted metal part, or even the negative battery terminal) then have someone press the horn button.

If you have voltage going to the horn, then it's probably a dud or it isn't getting grounded properly.

:withstupid: ...couldnt have said it better myself! :wink:

What do you mean it has a seperate ground wire? All I have is the black wire under the mounting bolt and the green one hooked up to the horn and I get nothing. But the horn isint installed on the car yet.

The black wire is the ground (or negative.) What I meant was that your car has an actual ground wire run to the horn. Most GM's only have one wire (which happens to be green) going to the horn, and they're grounded via the body of the horn being bolted to the frame...

The black wire is the ground (or negative.) What I meant was that your car has an actual ground wire run to the horn. Most GM's only have one wire (which happens to be green) going to the horn, and they're grounded via the body of the horn being bolted to the frame...

Oh i see, well I got work soon so tommorow morning I will acually bolt the horn on and try it then. Also right now since I only have one horn instead of 2 it sounds like a Civic horn :lol: