Turn Signal Switch (with radio controls) Question

Robby1870

I just replaced my turn signal switch about a month ago, and Im pretty sure its fried again, since I dont have brake lights once again (thats what was wrong the first time). I have a warranty on it for a year, but I'd like a fix-all solution, since, like las time, everything else turn signal switch related still works just fine. The only thing I can come up with is to splice the brake light wires together (the one that enters the turn signal switch and the one that exits it). But, none of my manuals (including my STE supplement) have a wiring diagram of the turn signal switch. So, I was wondering if anyone with a full set of factory manuals could give me a list of wire color/purpose for a turn signal switch with radio controls. Or, if you think this is a good/bad idea, maybe know why it has fried only the brake light part of the switch, or know of another reason my brake lights dont work, chime in, please. My 3rd brake light does work, so I know its the brake pedal switch and my tail lights work too. TIA

Okay, I admit I haven't tore into an 88-93 column before, but the Grand Prixes shouldn't have their brake lights run through the turn signal switch. They have the separate amber signals, therefore there's no reason to have the brake lights routed through the signal switch. If, for some odd reason, your car is wired that way, then rewire the lights so they go directly to the brake light switch (or even wire them to the 3rd brake light.)

As far as wiring diagrams, hit up your local public library. Look up "Pontiac Grand Prix" in the card catalog, and head over to the reference section. There you'll find some gigantic manuals that have all kinds of wiring diagrams. Make some copies of the necessary info so you can take it home with you :wink: ...

I also find it strange how brake lights would be integrated with the signal light switch :think: I've done it on both my 88' and my 95' GP. I know the switch controls the highbeams, 4-way flashers, (and those little wires for the radio buttons) although I have no idea what each individual wire actually does..

I would probably rewire it.

It makes no sense on a Grand Prix for the brake lights to go through the turn signal switch. I don't see any reason for it.

I have no idea why GM wired them that way.

(or even wire them to the 3rd brake light.)

Someone on this board did that, and since the 3rd brake light wire doesnt not need/have as many amps as the actual brake light wires, the brake lights were very dull. In fact, I think the person said the brake lights were BARELY brighter than the tails

I wouldn't wire them to the 3rd brake light. I'd do a switch bypass under the dash. They will be dim through the 3rd brake light wire. It can't carry that much current by itself.

They actually are the exact same switch on the "saginaw" columns (94-96.) On the saginaws, they have 2 different switches. One for cars with steering wheel controls, one for cars without them. No difference between the Grand Prixes and the other W's...

I don't think it could be the EXACT same switch though, because the red brake lights don't blink on the GP's.

They are. The wiring after the sinal switch is just different. I have a used signal switch from a Grand Prix in my sister's cutlass, plugged right in.

yes absolutely. There was no need for running the connection thru the switch. If I had a GP I may have just done it already, and not deal with signal switch vs brake light nightmares.