Keyless entry - Still not working

maclean1963

The keyless on my '91 Cutlass coupe still refuses to work (big surprise) and I'm running out of ideas. I reasoned that the receiver was still functioning since the locks cycle when I ground the programming wire. I therefore replaced the original FOB/remote with a new one but nothing happened. I then replaced the receiver with a junkyard unit. The locks cycled again when I grounded the programming wire but the remotes (old and new one) wouldn't work. I even tried replacing the power door lock relay. What really drives me wild is that the power trunk pops open whenever my next-door neighbor uses his garage door opener . That only started happening with the (new) junkyard receiver. That tells me the receiver is not clearing an old code even in programming mode. Am I missing something or am I just unlucky with 2 potentially bad receivers?

Guest TurboSedan
The keyless on my '91 Cutlass coupe still refuses to work (big surprise) and I'm running out of ideas. I reasoned that the receiver was still functioning since the locks cycle when I ground the programming wire. I therefore replaced the original FOB/remote with a new one but nothing happened. I then replaced the receiver with a junkyard unit. The locks cycled again when I grounded the programming wire but the remotes (old and new one) wouldn't work. I even tried replacing the power door lock relay. What really drives me wild is that the power trunk pops open whenever my next-door neighbor uses his garage door opener . That only started happening with the (new) junkyard receiver. That tells me the receiver is not clearing an old code even in programming mode. Am I missing something or am I just unlucky with 2 potentially bad receivers?

- have you tried replacing the batteries in the remote?

- when you grounded the programming wire, did you press all of the buttons on the remote (to program your new remote to the reciever) or did you simply ground the wire?

otherwise i'm not sure what it is. i actually had to solder the IC chips on the circuit board in my reciever box to make it work. the locks would cycle when i grounded the wire, but the remote still wouldn't do anything. i've resoldered the chips 4 times now. the first 3 times i simply heated up the solder joints but after a month or two the keyless entry would stop woring again. the last time i did i actually used a bit of paste flux before soldering and now it still works great after 6 months. keyless entry on these cars is a PITA! good luck

Good suggestions, however I did test and replace the batteries in both remotes and I tried each button on the remote individually as well as pushing them all at the same time. I'm going to re-solder the circuit board and see if that works. Did you clean off the clear plastic coating on the circuit board with lacquer thinner or does it matter? Thanks very much for your help!