Bad cv joint?? wtf?? Need help fast!!

95GTP

Here is the problem, there is agrinding noise from the front of the car when driving it. It gets louder when you go faster and quiets down when you apply the brakes. I have already changed the rotors, pads, wheel bearing hubs.

I jacked up the car with both front wheels in the air, put it into drive and the right wheel was spinning normally (10 mph) but the left wheel (where I suspect the problem) was not spinning till I gave her some gas then I heard the grinding sound and felt it too.

So is this a cv joint, something like teeth/gears chewed up and slipping or is it in the tranny?

I never heard of this, how bout you?

Dave B.

Sound like a strange one, the brakes adds a lot to it. Sounds like they might be dragging.

If it wasn't for the brakes affecting it I would say CV joint or possibly trans. But if the applying the brakes makes it quieter than I suggest you pull your wheels and check the brakes good.

Neither a bad CV or Trans should be affected like that by the brakes so I'd say start there.

If it was a bad CV it would be worse when turning especially under power.

Could be....it's really hard to tell without actually looking at the car. But from what you said the drivers side is making the noise and it took power to make it turn so the brakes could be dragging, and the noise is quieter when you apply the brakes so yeah. Could be the caliper and or sliders.

Dis this problem start after the brake change?

This has been going on for a long time just getting worse. Its my daughters car and she told me about it a while ago, I looked at it and could find nothing before.

The old rotors and pads were not wore down and the brakes dont smoke or smell, no glazing.

If the brakes/rotors don't get hot when your driving normally, it may be a chewed up gear(s) in the diff, or a diff pin that is comming out due to excessive spinning of one tire. ie. acelerating hard on ice. when the pin finally lets go, it will chew the shit out of the tranny casing.

If the brakes/rotors don't get hot when your driving normally, it may be a chewed up gear(s) in the diff, or a diff pin that is comming out due to excessive spinning of one tire. ie. acelerating hard on ice. when the pin finally lets go, it will chew the shit out of the tranny casing.

I think I'll go with the flex brake line first if thats the problem, I have had them not release the brakes and cause them to grag but they always smoked, always, if not the line then the caliper. When you say "diff" I'm assuming the cv joint? Differentials are on rear wheel drive as far as I know.

nope, i mean differential. there is actually a differential inside a FWD transmission. It is almost exactly the same as a RWD. when you spin one wheel a lot faster than the other, it chews up the gears, and can cause the pin to pull out. when the pin finally falls out, it will destroy the casing.

Fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I changed out the caliper and flex brake line. No change! Now I'm pissed. Rotors, pads, bearings, hub, caliper, line, WTF?

The sound is comming from the drivers side! I had a 40 yr experienced mechanic go with me on a drive and he said the same thing, drivers side bearings, WTF they are new!

Could it be the passangers side bearings and hub? No way, just changed that side along with the CV joint less than 2 years ago. Well try it out anyway, it only takes 10 minutes, old one has no play, swap it out with another and test drive, FIXED!!! It was the bearing and hub assembly I changed out 2 yrs ago. Cheap fuckin G.D. made in mexico, overseas bullshit parts!!!!

I'm done :alcoholic: