Tranny fluid in Rad/Res.

Baddflash

It would appear that there's tranny fluid in the rad. There is no contamination in the engine or the tranny which is making me think a core has gone in the rad and it needs to be replaced.

So does a replacement rad and a good flush sound about right? Or even switch to an external trans cooler. I want to spend $0 on this car.

Thanks.

This is for my '90 3.1L/125c

well...we just got a CADILLAC CATERA in the shop i work at with the same problem...it sounds like the trans cooler has broken inside the radiator and dumped tans fluid into the coolant (@ least thats what happend to this car!)...so, if you wanna do it cheap...you can probably take the tranny lines out of the radiator...plug the holes where the lines went in...run a universal Trans Cooler...flush the radiator...and the whole cooling system...and you should be good to go!

Just to give you an idea what a new rad costs... I just had mine replaced. New rad, flush, new hoses, and labor = $375. (I think the new radiator cost $175) You can probably do better at a rad shop and have the trans cooler fixed...if you do R&R yourself.

Tim

YES...it CAN!...tranny oil eats at rubber...like hoses and such!..BUT, i'm pretty sure if you flush the system out good (i'd flush it @ least 2-3 times) you should be alright...in the future the hoses MIGHT begin to go bad, or MIGHT not...on this Catera it ruined the rubber gasket that holds the plastic radiator cap together...and thats a $550 radiator and $40 cap!...so, we're doing exactly what i told you earlier..flushing the radiator and adding a universal tranny cooler...we're mounting it right between the AC condensor and the radiator! :wink:

It'll probably coagulate into a gooey mess and possibly clog the radiator core causing overheating. Plus, if you have trans fluid in the coolent it's only a matter of time before you have coolent in the trans. You don't want that.

I bought a car once with this problem. I like to have never got all the trans fluid out of the cooling system. It took the beter part of 2 hours to flush it with the garden hose. Get a decent sized trans cooler, plug the original line holes in the radiator and you'll be good to go.

Will tranny fluid in the coolant cause any problems?

I wouldn't worry too much about having ATF in the radiator, as long as you don't leave it in there for a long period of time..

Coolant in the trasmission will cause you a lot more problems. This is a bigger concern. I would recommend not driving the car until you get the problem resolved.

I parked the car as soon as I noticed this problem, and it remain that way until it is fixed. I'm moving this weekend so I won't get at it for atleast a week.

Thanks for the help guys.