Lumina Idle Is Messed Up

1990lumina

Hey, I did a search on tihs, but the link to relearn the idle isn't working (tripod site and the page is missing?) anyway, so my 1990 Lumina 3.1 isn't idling very well right now. More noticable when shifting from park to reverse the idle goes really low, around 350-400rpm and seems like the engine is going to stall, then pops back up to around 900rpm.

The car starts very good, and it only started doing this after I replaced my alternator, so I've been told I have to relearn my idle. So, what is the procedure for doing it, as I cannot find it, could someone provide me a link to a site that works. Is it a difficult thing to do? I know I put a battery blanket on the car before my alternator problem and disconnected the battery then also. When I tried starting it it started right up then stalled, then started up and idled fine. However, after my alternator thing when I had the battery disconnected for around 45mins the idle is bouncing up and down.

Today, I was backing up onto my driveway and it stalls, so I try putting it in neutral to start it again, won't start. So I put it in park and it starts good and revs all the way to 2000rpm then back down to about 1100rpm where it is idling all the time now, except when in reverse and the motor just about dies.

EDIT: The spark plugs and wires are new, AC Delcos.

Thanks for the help guys!!

- Jeff L.

disconnect one battery cable, go drink a soda, come back, hook battery back up, start car, put it in drive, keep foot on brake and leave it there for a couple of minutes, then go drive. It may stumble once or twice when it warms up, but it should figure itself out, very quickly

1. Disconnect the battery or pull ECM fuses for a few minutes then re-connect.

2. Start the car and immediately put the car into drive and let it idle for 5 min while in gear.

3.Shut the car off wait a minute and repeat step two.

4. Drive it.

Alternatively you could just do step one and then just drive the car and the computer will re-learn that way.