Coolant Reservoir

GP1138

The coolant reservoir on my Euro has two hoses. One goes to the bottom, and one to the lid. The one that goes to the lid is not hooked up to anything, however I can remember the reservoir on the Grand Prix was actually hooked up to something. What is this hose supposed to go to?

Mine runs down to the bottom of the reservoir and just hangs there (I think),

I don't think so. Mine traces down underneath the car. It hangs out under the car and looks like it's supposed to go somewhere. Maybe someone tried to replace it and used too long a hose, but I remember rolling my GP's engine forward and having two long lines to worry about when I moved the coolant reservoir...

The one on the top of the lid, just hangs down. It's the overflow drain hose, so if the coolant tank ever floods itself, it drains out the hose.

Edit, Sean beat me to it, he was a faster typer.. :D

yea, the hose just hangs down behind the bumber. personally I would remove the hose for security reasons. I have actually cracked a set of heads on my regal because the cooling fans cut out and it boiled over. Yes, i will admit that i didn't flush the coolant when I bought the car in April 2004. But the coolant just spilled out on to the ground and created an air pocket in the top of the heads. The temp gauge didn't even show an over heat. So now, without that hose, it will spill coolant over the engine and blow off steam, instantly alerting you to a problem.

Why does no one believe what I say? :? Two people have to back me up before anyone takes what I've already said seriously.

It wasn't out of disrespect or anything, but the hose on the back of my reservoir is visible underneath the car, and this didn't make sense to me. I didn't "not believe" you, I just wanted to make completely sure. I'm sorry, but it just didn't make sense that a hose would be just hanging there not hooked to anything. I understand now.